DescriptionUniversity of Colorado | CU Anschutz Medical CampusSchool of Medicine/Department of Medicine/Division of CardiologyProfessional Research AssistantPosition #00784648 – Requisition #21617
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers
*The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgroundsThe University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus is a public education, clinical and research facility serving 4,500 students, and a world-class medical destination at the forefront of life-changing science, medicine, and healthcare. CU Anschutz offers more than 42 highly rated degree programs through 6 schools and colleges, and receives over $500 million in research awards each year. We are the single largest health professions education provider in Colorado, awarding nearly 1,450 degrees annually. Powered by our award-winning faculty, renowned researchers and a reputation for academic excellence, the CU Anschutz Medical Campus drives innovation from the classroom to the laboratory to the delivery of unparalleled patient care. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here. Job Summary
This position is for a professional research assistant for in the CU Cardiovascular Institute molecular genetics cardiovascular research laboratory. This position has a strong focus on cell culture (in particular human induced pluripotent stem cell (iPSC) and primary cardiac cells), preparation of laboratory reagents, and assistance with a variety of in vitro and in vivo laboratory experiments, including studies in laboratory mice. Job Description
A Full Time 100% Professional Research Assistant position is available for a motivated individual with at least a Bachelor's degree, to primarily work on cutting-edge iPSC-based projects and primary cardiac cell cultures in the collaborative laboratory of Luisa Mestroni, MD, Matthew Taylor, MD, PhD and Suet Nee Chen, PhD (Cardiovascular Institute and Dept. of Medicine, University of Colorado Denver – Anschutz Medical Campus). The group utilizes iPSCs from patients to generate cardiomyocytes (iPSC-CMs) for disease modeling, genome editing (via CRISPR/Cas9), and high-throughput drug screening. The group also utilizes bioengineering, primary cell cultures (adult and neonatal rat cardiac myocytes), nanotechnology methods, and animal models to develop tissue engineering and drug delivery methods for treatments of heart disease.Job responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of Dr. Chen, PhD and Dr. Gao, PhD:
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Provide laboratory management (orders, supplies, auditing paperwork, etc.)
- Maintains various iPSC cells lines.
- Assists postdocs on animal works.
- Maintains laboratory records and orders reagents.
- Growing primary cardiac cell lines.
- Perform RNA and DNA isolation.
- Performs PCR/qPCR assays and analyzes data.
- Assists undergraduates/grad students/postdocs in their research activity.
- Performs other related duties as assigned
Salary and Benefits:
- Experience with human iPSC culture and primary cardiac cell cultures is highly desirable but not required.
- Experience with most basic molecular and cell biology techniques (e.g., PCR, Western blots, RT-PCR, cloning, immunocytochemistry, and DNA, RNA, and protein purification) is highly desirable.
- Experience with animals, primary cell culture and tissue engineering is desired but not required.
- Ability to work both independently and as a team member, with supervision of a principal investigator and current laboratory staff.
The salary range for this position has been established at $35,600 to $40,000. The salary of the finalist(s) selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to, internal equity, experience, education, specialty and training.The above salary range represents the University’s good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation at the time of posting.The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services
. University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background checks for all new employees prior to their employment. The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities. Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line. Benefits: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/benefits
.Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: https://www1.ucdenver.edu/offices/human-resources/employee-relations-performance/ada-compliance
Office of Equity: https://www1.ucdenver.edu/offices/equity
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Applicants must meet minimum qualifications at the time of hire. Preferred Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in molecular, cellular, or developmental biology, or bioengineering, or a closely related field preferred.
- Master or doctorate degree in molecular, cellular, or developmental biology, or bioengineering, or a closely related field is desirable but not required
- Experience with mammalian cell culture and good sterile technique is desirable.
- Self-motivated and desire to be involved in high-impact research.
- Good management skills in an academic research setting.
- Good communication skills is required.
Jun 15, 2021Unposting Date: