Brief Job Description:
The College of Medicine uses horizontally and vertically integrated case presentation-based curriculum delivered during organ specific courses and by chief complaint. Medical Skills is an M1 and M2 year-long course designed to integrate education in History and Physical Exam skills. The course runs parallel with the organ-based systems courses. The Course Director (CD) is responsible for developing/amending and delivering course content, arranging faculty preceptors and standardized patients. The CD is also responsible for maintenance of grades.
- Direct the development, implementation, organization and teaching of the Medical Skills Course for M1 and/or M2 students
- Develop and implement curriculum topics for an integrated medical program
- Collaborate with basic and clinical science educators to direct the integration, horizontally and vertically, of basic sciences within organ/system-based courses
- Design and implement appropriate laboratory experiences for medical students in an integrated curriculum
- Support student remediation planning and activities
- Design/deliver an outstanding student experience, attending to all curriculum matters, as well as maintaining a learning environment that promotes mutual respect and professional behavior on the part of faculty, staff and students
- Provide course schedules, syllabi, and information for educational database
- Choose/change faculty who teach students as appropriate, provide faculty with development opportunities and feedback on their teaching
- May serve as a College Master (student mentor, academic advisor and role model), and supervise the academic progress of an assigned group of students throughout their medical program – based on qualifications
- Support student career advising and student medical specialty interest groups – based on qualifications
- Participate in scholarship activities
- Participate in faculty development programs
- Serve on departmental and institutional committees
- Terminal degree (MD, MD/PhD, PhD)
- Documented accomplishments as a clinician and clinician-educator
- Experience and documented accomplishments in teaching medical students
- Ability to work effectively in an inter-disciplinary environment
- Applicants with teaching experience in any of the Clinical Sciences
- Applicants with experience in teaching in an integrated curriculum
- Applicants with experience in Problem-Based or Team-Based Learning
- Exceptional interpersonal communication skills
- Abilities to lead collaborative inter-organizational programs
- Knowledge about design of adult learning and active learning educational experiences
- Commitment to professional excellence and innovation in medical education
California Northstate University College of Medicine (CNUCOM) is a new allopathic medical education program approved by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) and preliminary accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME). The curriculum uses a horizontally- and vertically-integrated interdisciplinary clinical presentation approach. Clinical presentations (patients’ chief complaints) are the framework within which basic and clinical science knowledge will be built. Integrated curriculum introduces the students to basic and clinical sciences for the first two years. In the third and fourth years, a community-based, clinical training model is being adopted.
Applications will be reviewed upon receipt. For full consideration, candidates should provide curriculum vitae with at least three references. All candidates are asked to provide a cover letter, articulating how their knowledge, experience, and beliefs have prepared them to function in support of California Northstate University's vision and mission statements.
Please submit your cover letter, curriculum vitae, list of references, and any additional information to the HR Department. Review of applicants will begin immediately and will continue until positions are filled.
California Northstate is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply. For inquiries, please contact us by email or telephone: (916) 686-7300.