Job no: 495760About Us:
Work type: Non-Classified/Professional
Location: Boise, ID
Boise State University, powered by creativity and innovation, stands uniquely positioned in the Northwest as a metropolitan research university of distinction. Learn more about Boise State and the City of Boise at https://www.boisestate.edu/about/boise-and-beyond/. Boise State University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Boise State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply. We are a welcoming campus that supports diversity and inclusion.Job Summary/Basic Function:
Serves in a temporary position that enables an individual with their Ph.D. to continue their training as a researcher and gain skills and experience that will prepare them for their research career in academia or elsewhere. As a postdoc, the position can perform mostly independent research, collaborate on a multi-scholar research initiative, or even may have lead responsibility for discrete components of a larger research project or program, all while under the general direction of a senior or principal researcherLevel Scope:
After earning a Ph.D., the next step in the academic or research career path is often a postdoc. A postdoc is a continuation of a researcher’s training that enables them to further their professional development and start to transition from student to independent researcher. Postdocs also often take additional leadership or teaching responsibilities in their laboratory or department. These positions are usually two to three years and it is not unusual for a researcher to do more than one postdoc.Essential Functions:
The Postdoctoral Research Scholar may:
● Problem solve research challenges and model development, as applicable.
● Contribute discrete components of a larger project under the general direction of a senior or principal researcher.
● Prepare complete documentation of research activities for reference purposes, including following applicable data management protocols.
● Analyze, interpret, and document research findings for review.
● Compare actual and expected results and suggest solutions to correct the deviations.
● Evaluate existing research or modeling techniques and recommend improvements to ensure quality and productivity.
● Assist in the preparation of proposals and reports.
● Assist in teaching classes.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
● The selected candidate must be able to meet eligibility requirements for work in the United States at the time the appointment is scheduled to begin and to continue working legally for the proposed term of the appointment.
● Excellent teamwork and communication skills.
● Scientific writing skills demonstrated through peer-reviewed publications
● Ability to acquire accurate, reproducible data
● Critical eye towards consistency, reproducibility, and the scientific method in general
● Excellent project and time management skills
● Strong interpersonal and mentoring skills
● Advocate for safety and ethics in the workplace
Requires a minimum of a Ph.D. or equivalent terminal degree in a relevant discipline.Preferred Qualifications:
• Ph.D. in Chemistry, Food Science, or Engineering is preferred. Experience with food processing is desired.
• Pulsed Electric Field Studies: The candidate must be knowledgeable in food process engineering, kinetics, statistics and electronics. Experience in the analysis of potatoes, vegetables and wine is desirable. Prior knowledge of Pulsed Electric Field treatment, food fryers, dryers, and dehydration equipment and basic physics is desirable.Salary and Benefits:
• Chemical Characterization: Candidate must be knowledgeable in maintenance, use, and interpretation of data acquired from scientific instrumentation (HPLC-CAD, GC-MS, LC-QQQ-MS), and be proficient at the identification of reducing sugars, amino acids and acrylamide.
• Data Analysis: Candidate must be proficient in the analysis of data, principal component analysis, kinetics data interpretation and study design, and other relevant statistical analysis methods.
• Reporting & Dissemination: The candidate must have strong written and oral communication skills. This individual will serve as a liaison between university and industry professionals. They will be responsible for recording data, writing progress reports, and giving oral presentations between team members and the steering committee. The employee will provide guidance to students in the laboratory related to experiment design and execution, and train students in the proper use and maintenance of instrumentation.
• Scholarly Activity: The candidate must be self-motivated, independent, and enthusiastic to succeed. Manuscript preparation and conference presentation are expected.
The salary is $50,000. Boise State University is committed to offering a benefits package that provides health and financial protection plans as well as resources to promote health and well-being. Our program provides flexibility so you can choose the benefits that are right for you and your family. Learn more about our benefit options at https://www.boisestate.edu/hrs/benefits/.Required Application Materials:
Advertised: June 14, 2021 Mountain Daylight Time
Applications close: July 12, 2021 11:55 PM Mountain Daylight Time