Job no: 495765About Us:
Work type: Non-Classified/Professional
Location: Boise, ID
Categories: Management, Campus Recreation, Marketing and Communications, Media and Arts, Project Management
Boise State University, powered by creativity and innovation, stands uniquely positioned in the Northwest as a metropolitan research university of distinction. Learn more about Boise State and the City of Boise at https://www.boisestate.edu/about/boise-and-beyond/. Boise State University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Boise State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply. We are a welcoming campus that supports diversity and inclusion.Job Summary/Basic Function:
This position's primary focus will be the planning and execution of events from start to finish including hiring, training, and scheduling part-time Front of House Managers and Event Security staff. This position will be responsible for select event administration duties as assigned by the Director of Patron and Venue Services.Department Overview:
About the Morrison Center
Located on the campus of Boise State University, the 2,002-seat Velma V. Morrison Center for the Performing Arts is Idaho's home for the arts. Nestled on the banks of the Boise River, with a panoramic view of the city, parks, and foothills, the Center's 10-story stage house is a recognizable fixture of the Capitol's picturesque skyline. The realization of a life-long dream of Harry W. Morrison, and championed by his widow, Velma, the Center opened its doors on April 7, 1984. Today the Center is recognized as a major destination for arts and culture, annually hosting hundreds of live entertainment and arts education offerings that serve to enrich the lives of patrons of all ages. As a Boise State affiliate, the Center’s budget is supported by ticket sales, facility rentals, donations, and the generous support of the Morrison Center Endowment Foundation, Inc. The Center does not receive support from state appropriations. The latest economic impact study for the Morrison Center shows the generation of $27.9M in value to the local and state economy. For more information on our programs and history, please visit us at: www.MorrisonCenter.comLevel Scope:
Provides direct supervision typically to professionals or skilled technical employees at the entry or intermediate level. Functions as an advisor to unit and administration and sets goals and objectives for team members for the achievement of operational results. Analyzes and resolves problems through drawing from prior experiences. Interprets policies (e.g., fiscal management, HR, contracts and grants, resource management in defined areas) and demonstrates solid subject matter knowledge. Exercises judgment within defined procedures and policies to determine appropriate action. Supervises staff to assure accountability and stewardship of campus resources (operational, financial, and human) in compliance with departmental goals and objectives.Essential Functions:
The Venue Operations, Manager must:
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Keep current on all business trends and patron needs to ensure excellent customer service and security practices.
- Ensures events run smoothly and have strong front to back of house communication, and balance safety and security.
- Commitment to ongoing training in diversity, equity and inclusion – including de-escalation practices, crowd management, and a commitment to a front of house that is helpful, caring, friendly, welcoming, and sees patrons as individuals where their concerns will be listened to.
- Hire, train, schedule, evaluate and manage part-time Front of House Manager pool. Volunteers and Event Security.
- Primary liaison between the Morrison Center and the volunteer event staff.
- Ensure FOH staff and volunteers are prepared and informed on each event, including door times, holds, intermissions, and end of showtimes.
- Coordinate show VIP engagements and Meet and Greets.
- Assist the Director of Patron & Venue Services with show merchandise delivery, set-up, take down, and settlement.
- Prepare event digital files and manage and organize content.
- Update and manage event information in Eventbooking with all relevant event information.
- Coordinate parking for all events with the University transportation department and maintain and proof Google parking settlement financials sheet.
- Print parking passes as needed and coordinate with backstage and other departments.
- Prepare and submit alcohol permit requests for events, as necessary.
- Input and manage data on the internal data attendance sheet.
- Prep all licensing contracts and university event requisitions for rental events.
- Submit attendance and show information to Pollstar.
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written), interpersonal, organizational, and time management skills.
- Ability to work efficiently, prioritize tasks, and multi-task.
- Ability to work as a member of a team and collaborate with others outside the venue.
- Ability to interpret and enforce venue policies and procedures.
- Ability to manage daily decision-making authority.
- Knowledge of supervisory best practices and procedures
- Availability to work nights and weekends as needed.
- Knowledge of best practices assisting patrons with disabilities and understanding of ADA requirements.
- Bachelor’s degree and 2 years of experience or equivalent professional experience.
Salary and Benefits:
- Bachelor’s degree and two to three (2-3) years of event management or volunteer coordination experience.
- Background in theater stage management or performing arts a plus.
The starting salary is $50,000.00 and commensurate with experience. Boise State University is committed to offering a benefits package that provides health and financial protection plans as well as resources to promote health and well-being. Our program provides flexibility so you can choose the benefits that are right for you and your family. Learn more about our benefit options at https://www.boisestate.edu/hrs/benefits/.Required Application Materials:
Resume and Cover letter.
Advertised: June 14, 2021 Mountain Daylight Time
Applications close: July 7, 2021 11:55 PM Mountain Daylight Time