Columbia State Community College is currently recruiting for a Vice President for Finance and Administration
The Vice President of Finance and Administration (VPFA) serves as the chief financial and administration officer reporting directly to the president and serving on the president’s cabinet. The Vice President provides leadership and development of areas that include: Business Operations, Finance, Financial Planning and Control Systems; Safety and Security; Facilities; and Information Services. The VPFA has a leadership role in the development and implementation of the college’s strategic and institutional effectiveness plans. The Vice President is a vital collaborator with academic affairs and student affairs to support the college in its mission to nurture success and positively change lives and serves as the Foundation’s treasurer.
Essential Functions: (Note: The word campus below refers to all Columbia State campuses.)
- Counsel the president as to the financial and fiscal needs of the institution for current operations and future planning. Lead and supervise the daily fiscal and administrative operations of the college.
- Collect and analyze data for reporting and making recommendations to the president that continues excellence in the financial and administrative development of the college with high efficiencies, sound finance theory, and personnel-minded solutions that seek to meet current needs with attention to future impact.
- Serve as the treasurer of the Foundation which includes reporting and assurances that the funds are meeting appropriate accounting and management standards.
- Manage the financial operations of the college, through the Associate Vice President for Business Services for functions that include accounting, budgeting, auditing, investments, payroll, purchasing, inventory control, cash receipts, disbursements, accounts payable, and accounts receivable.
- Lead and supervise, through the Associate Vice President for Information Technology, computing which includes all the network, telecommunication, and management information systems operations of the college. Ensures the college’s technology and network infrastructure are kept current and fully support the instructional, student development, and administrative functions.
- Lead an efficient and effective plant operations and maintenance function, through the Director of Facility Services and Safety that support the college mission of an environment conducive to student success. Work with operations personnel to identify campus maintenance, security, and safety issues and long-term facility needs. Develop and recommend plans including funding strategies to address those needs.
- Ensure that the college practices due diligence in the development and implementation of safety and security services and plans that provide for a safe environment for students, employees, and visitors.
- Ensure that the college practices due diligence in the implementation and maintenance of policies and procedures for the security of digital and web based data.
- Oversee collaboration, review, development and recommendation to the president of the college’s risk assessment plan, emergency preparedness plan, college safety plan, business continuity, and other financial and administrative related plans.
- Lead the annual budget development process to include preparation of enrollment and revenue estimates, the development of staffing and compensation plan recommendations and strategies for the most efficient allocation and use of all the financial resources available to the college.
- Administer auxiliary enterprise and like contractual services and make recommendations to the president regarding said services,
- In consultation with the president, provide oversight and leadership for new construction and renovation, to include making recommendations to the president for project submittals on construction/renovation, capital projects, and land acquisition.
- Represent the college at statewide Business Affairs Subcouncil meetings and, as appropriate, provides leadership on other state and local committees and councils. Serves as the liaison with the state finance office in matters relating to the implementation of the budget of the college.
- Review and approve appropriate federal, state, legislative, and other reports that pertain to Finance and Administration, and advises the president of same. Ascertain that all federal and state required compliance reports required under the leadership of the VPFA are complete, accurate, and timely.
- Prepare reports and other information to keep the president informed as may be required for effective management of the college business and administrative resources.
- Keep the president fully advised on financial related matters of the college through regular reporting, meetings, and conferences.
- Recommend policies and procedures to more effectively and efficiently operate the college.
- Assist the president as necessary with special projects and assignments. May be asked to stand in for the president.
- Schedule work to be responsive and timely as related to review and deadlines.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education, Training and Experience Required:
- Master’s degree in a field of study related to the areas of administration of the vice president from a regionally accredited institution.
- Five or more years of senior leadership experience in administrative, financial, and business/administrative services operations, including experience in the development and management of operational/capital budgets and long-term financial/strategic plans, with a record of sound planning and decision-making.
- Working knowledge of accounting/accounting principles.
- Progressively responsible work experience in finance/administrative services, preferably within a higher education setting.
- Experience with planning, implementing, and evaluating complex projects with appropriate input from stakeholders.
- Experience with effectively motivating, managing, and supervising personnel and work teams.
- Experience in developing, maintaining, and/or enhancing an inclusive work environment.
Education, Training and Experience Desired:
- Doctorate degree in a field of study related to the areas of administration of the vice president from a regionally accredited institution.
- Five or more years of experience in a leadership role in an educational, non-profit, or government finance/administrative environment with preference with experience in higher education.
- Experience supervising multiple administrative operations, such as business services, planning and budgeting, facility services, information technology, human resources, auxiliary services, or public safety.
- Experience managing major capital building projects in an educational, non-profit, or government business environment.
- Experience with planning and implementation of sustainability practices appropriate for higher education.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Work Characteristics:
- Demonstrated knowledge of contemporary theories and practices in finance and administration.
- Excellent skills in oral and written communication.
- Proven leadership in a complex organizational setting, preferably within a community college.
- Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to the community college philosophy.
- Proven ability to work as a team player, appropriately exhibiting a positive attitude, a sense of humor, and the ability to tolerate and flourish in an environment characterized by multiple complex factors, competing priorities, and resource challenges.
- Ability to supervise and evaluate assigned staff while building a highly effective working team.
- Ability to interpret and apply college policies and procedures
- Ability to resolve issues, resulting in mutual respect and tolerance for varying points of view.
- Knowledge of and ability to effectively utilize administrative applications of information technology.
- Normal standing, sitting and walking.
- Extensive use of personal computer.
- Travel within service area and state.
- Associate Vice President of Business Services
- Associate Vice President for Information Technology
- Director of Facility Services and Safety
For more information, or to apply for this position, please go to the link at: https://tbr.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/4/home/requisition/5800?c=tbr
Applications for this position are accepted through the on-line process only.
Columbia State Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.