Lecturer - Visual Communication DesignPosting Number:
8209RCW Exemption Criteria:
10 - Academic PersonnelEWU Position Number:
09.07 - Radio, Television & Digital CommunicationFLSA:
Exempt - TeachingBargaining Unit :
UFE% Full Time:
100%Salary / Wage Range:
The expected salary upon hire is $61,317Anticipated Start Date:
09/16/2021Term of Appointment:
9 months per academic year, mid-September through mid-JuneLocation:
Spokane Catalyst LocationCounty:
Yes - BothLevel 1 User with Access:
Sherry MowattResponsible HR User:
Britt PirkerResponsible HR User Email address:
[email protected] "inquiries only"Job Summary:
Please note: this recruitment will be closed to further applications as of Midnight Friday, June 18, 2021.About Eastern Washington University:
The College of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics
Lecturer – Visual Communication Design, Department of Design
The College of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics at Eastern Washington University (EWU) invites applications for a Visual Communication Design Lecturer faculty position within the Department of Design. The expected start date is September 2021.
We are seeking a candidate who will be an inspirational teacher, role model, and a student mentor with a dedication to teaching and learning.
The successful candidate for the Lecturer in Visual Communication Design position will have earned a Masters degree in Visual Communication Design with relevant industry experience, or, a Bachelor’s degree in Visual Communication Design with relevant industry experience.
Strong preference will be given to candidates with MFA, MDes, or Masters and at least 2 years of relevant post graduate professional and/or teaching experience or Bachelors candidates with at least 5 years of relevant industry experience in the area of Visual Communication Design.
Candidate should exhibit a strong foundational understanding of visual communication design, digital foundations, interaction design, interface design, systems design, storyboarding, prototyping, usability, and project management. Experience with digital asset management is a plus.
The ideal candidate will be interested in working collaboratively with colleagues across disciplines; working with nonprofits, government agencies and companies on collaborative courses and projects; and be committed to advancing the design disciplines through one’s practice and approach to design education. Additionally, all faculty are expected to actively participate in assessment of student learning and to engage in effective teaching.
The selected candidate will be capable of teaching at all levels of the undergraduate program and across diverse fields of design that include, but are not limited to, digital foundations, visual communication, typography, information design, systems design, user experience, user interface, web design, and demonstrate awareness of sustainable design practices. Applicants who possess expertise in a complimentary field and/or industry experience are encouraged to apply.
EWU is a culturally and economically diverse university. Approximately one-third of EWU students are underrepresented and half are first generation. A demonstrated ability to apply a culturally responsive and flexible approach that is supportive to the diverse needs, including universal access, of our students, faculty, staff, and the public.
Questions about the position may be directed to the search committee chair Travis Masingale ([email protected]), or department chair Mindy Breen ([email protected]).
Questions about the application process may be directed to Britt Pirker ([email protected]). All materials will be held in strictest confidence, and your references will not be contacted without prior notification to the candidates.
EASTERN WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Eastern Washington University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.
SPECIAL ACCOMMODATIONS: Eastern strives to satisfy all requests for special access needs for persons with disabilities. Requests for such accommodations are welcome and may be made by calling Human Resources at (509) 359‐2381.
Eastern Washington University is a regional, comprehensive public university located in Cheney and Spokane, Washington, with programs offered throughout the state and online with an enrollment of over 12,000 students. Eastern is one of six state-funded four-year institutions of higher education in Washington reporting to its own Board of Trustees.
Eastern’s 300-acre main campus is located in Cheney, a community of 11,000 residents 16 miles southwest of the state’s second largest city, Spokane. Eastern also offers programs in downtown Spokane at the Brand new Catalyst building and on the Riverpoint Campus which is shared with Washington State University. Eastern also offers program throughout the state based on the needs of the community. Eastern offers an array of bachelor’s and master’s degrees and one applied doctorate in physical therapy. EWU offers 135 fields of study, 9 master’s degrees, 12 graduate certificates, 39 graduate programs, 1 educational specialist degree, and 1 applied doctorate to more than 10,000 enrolled students.Diversity Statement:
EWU does not discriminate in its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship or immigration status, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, genetic information, age, marital status, families with children, protected veteran or military status, HIV or hepatitis C, status as a mother breastfeeding her child, or the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability or the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability, as provided for and to the extent required by state and federal laws.Conditions of Employment:
This position, during the course of university employment will be involved in the receipt of, or accountability for, university funds or other items of value; as well as the unsupervised access with the developmentally disabled, vulnerable adults or children under the age of 16. The offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion and passing of a background check prior to beginning employment.
Note: Interviews may be conducted via Zoom (camera must be enabled). While we anticipate being open for in-person instruction for academic year 2021-22, should Washington State or university pandemic restrictions disallow for in-person instruction, then courses will be taught via online platforms, including Zoom and other technologies. Candidates must be able to demonstrate competence using these technologies.Physical Demands :
Essential Functions Analysis forms (“EFA”) describe the physical and mental demands associated with our positions. You may access this document at the link provided below:Pre-Placement Physical :
EFA for Lecturer Visual Communication Design
NoHearing Test :
NoMedical Monitoring Post Hire :
NoProtective Equipment :
University, local, regional and state mandates for public and personal protection should be followed as needed.Required Qualifications:
- Master’s or Bachelor’s degree with experience in Visual Communication design or related field with relevant industry experience, with an emphasis in visual communication design, digital foundations, interface design, user experience design, and/or interaction design (Degree must be completed by the appointment date);
- Strong interest in teaching visual communication design courses that might include digital foundations, design foundations, typography, user experience design, or web design;
- Excellent communication skills to meet the needs of our diverse student body.
- Demonstrated ability to apply a culturally responsive and flexible approach that is supportive to the diverse needs, including universal access, of our students, faculty, staff and the public.
Work Schedule Type:
- Either an MFA or MDes with 2+years of relevant experience, a Master’s with 3+ years of relevant industry experience, or a Bachelor’s degree with 5+ years of relevant industry experience in Visual Communication Design or related field, with an emphasis in digital foundations, design foundations, visual design, and user experience design;
- At least 1 year of teaching experience;
- A strong foundational understanding of UX/UI, wire framing, print & web typography, journey mapping, storyboarding, information architecture, and usability testing;
- Proficiency using software programs such as Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, XD, Figma, Sketch, Webflow;
- Interested in working collaboratively with colleagues across disciplines and through project-based learning, engaging with community on collaborative courses and projects, and supervising internships.
- Schedule will vary from quarter to quarter in response to course scheduling.
- Typical Workload for this position will involve 45 credits per academic year.
06/03/2021Open Until Further Notice:
06/18/2021Screening to Begin:
06/11/2021Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please note: this recruitment will be closed to further applications as of Midnight Friday, June 18, 2021.
The review of applications will begin as they are received and continue until the position is filled. For full consideration, your application must be received by June 11, 2021. Submit your application materials through our online faculty application portal located here: https://jobs.hr.ewu.edu.
Submittals must include
- a letter of application that addresses each of the key responsibilities and qualifications of the position (both required and preferred);
- a curriculum vitae including a list of three references with addresses, email, and phone numbers;
- a one page statement of your teaching philosophy that includes any supporting evidence of teaching success;
- a portfolio with up to 20 images of your work and up to 10 images of student work, in a single pdf. If artwork has a time-based element, please submit a “reel” or video sample, include a link to a Vimeo or YouTube video(s) within the PDF. Keep video samples to a reasonable duration. The committee will sample a maximum length of 3 minutes. Embedded links to website with 10-20 examples of personal and student work are acceptable;
- as an equal opportunity employer with a multicultural staff and student population, we are interested in how your qualifications prepare you to work with diverse faculty, staff, and student populations representing various cultures and backgrounds that may be different from your own. Please describe how you will apply an approach that is supportive to the diverse needs, including universal access, of our students, faculty, staff, and the public;
Applications will not be accepted via email, regular mail, or any other mode of transmission.