Summer Research Assistant - Georgetown University Medical Center
Located in a historic neighborhood in the nation's capital, Georgetown offers rigorous academic programs, a global perspective, exciting ways to take advantage of Washington, D.C., and a commitment to social justice. Our community is a tight knit group of remarkable individuals interested in intellectual inquiry and making a difference in the world.Requirements
The Summer Research Assistant
will initially perform all tasks on porcine mucin to train, standardize protocols, and identify unforeseen adjustments that need to be made. The Summer Research Assistant will also complete CITI training for handling biospecimens, and the lab will have the IRB exemption in place for receiving samples and would have identified logistics for receiving and storing CVL samples. The lab expects to create a protocol with failsafe checks for running more detailed analysis on paired CVL samples, and generating preliminary data for a NIH R01 grant.
- Preliminary characterization - The student will measure pH, assess cloudiness or sample, perform centrifugation to remove large suspended particles, do initial DLS assessment of the quality of the sample, incubate with excess of DTT in basic pH to release aggregated mucins, and dialyze sample in PBS buffer to remove solutes.
- Standardizing lectin assay and glycosidase cleavage for assaying terminal sugars in mucin. Interpretations of the changes in the DLS curve for the solution following glycosidase addition will be validated with AFM imaging.
- Standardizing virus-mucin binding assay: The student will standardize the concentrations of virus to add and tag virus amounts to the mucin DLS signal in the sample. AFM imaging will be performed to ensure that the aggregation signals in DLS correspond to virus-mucin aggregation.
The Summer Research Assistant will work closely with Dr. Seble Kassaye and the Infectious Diseases lab staff as well as, Dr. Preethi Chandran at Howard University who is collaborating with Dr. Kassaye on this project.Qualifications
Current Georgetown Employees:
- Bachelor's Degree in Biology or Chemistry. 1-2 years of experience working in a laboratory environment.
- Proficient in Microsoft Suite, Adobe Professional, 3D Imaging Programs, and PUTTY coding.
- Must be organized, detailed, and able to work with minimum oversight.
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS (gms.georgetown.edu
) using your Net ID and password. Then select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.Submission Guidelines:
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.Need Assistance:
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here
for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or [email protected]
opens new window" target="_blank" href="https://apptrkr.com/get_redirect.php?id=2306843&targetURL=mailto:[email protected]
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500. For more information about the suite of benefits, professional development and community involvement opportunities that make up Georgetown's commitment to its employees, please visit the Georgetown Works website
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law
Georgetown University offers a wide variety of comprehensive and competitive benefits. Benefits packages include comprehensive health, dental and vision plans, disability and life insurance coverage, retirement savings programs, tuition assistance, voluntary insurance options (including group legal, accident, and critical illness), and much more. Whatever your need, the Office of Faculty and Staff Benefits will be standing by to support you. You can learn more about the benefits offered to eligible faculty and staff at https://benefits.georgetown.edu
opens new window" target="_blank" href="https://apptrkr.com/get_redirect.php?id=2306843&targetURL=https://benefits.georgetown.edu/">https://benefits.georgetown.edu or view the online interactive benefits guide
for more information.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2306843
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency