Job location: Maryland - Montgomery County Employment Type:
Part-time Posted data:
R2775 Job Title
Part-time Faculty Service Learning FacilitatorJob Description Summary
The Montgomery College, Takoma Park/Silver Spring campus, is currently accepting applications for possible openings as a part-time faculty member teaching Service Learning. We are seeking an enthusiastic and dedicated teacher who exhibits a high degree of professionalism, a strong commitment to our students, and demonstrates the ability to motivate and educate in an engaging manner.
The Montgomery College Part-time Faculty - Service Learning Instructor provides instruction and integrates community-engaged learning opportunities into the classrooms, student clubs and organizations, leadership programs, and other student affairs initiatives at the Takoma Park/Silver Spring Campus. We are seeking an enthusiastic and dedicated educator who exhibits a high degree of professionalism, a strong commitment to our students, and demonstrates the ability to motivate, educate, and promote serving in an engaging manner.
As a part of the Office of Student Life team, the service learning facilitator will support collegewide initiatives such as Alternative Breaks, Manna Food Smart Sacks, Career Pathways in Service Days, Service Learning and Volunteer Fair, Risk Reduction and Compliance Programming, Impact MC, MC Votes, and other Student Life leadership programs and activities.
***Montgomery College accepts applications for Adjunct/Part-time Faculty on a continuous basis. Applications may be reviewed periodically based on the student enrollment needs. ***
- The listing of a course in the schedule of classes as “TBA” does not constitute an assignment.
- The hiring decision for part-time faculty involves an academic judgment and shall be determined at Management’s sole discretion.
- During the academic year part-time faculty at Montgomery College may teach no more than 11.5 ESH (equivalent semester hour) per semester and no more than 23 ESH per academic year.
- During summer part-time faculty at Montgomery College may teach no more than 10 ESH (equivalent semester hour) for both sessions combined.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teaching students in the service learning leadership program.
- Working with faculty to develop new courses or service-learning assignments for existing courses.
- Creating related reflection activities and assessment materials specific to a course’s learning outcomes.
- Identifying and coordinating with service-learning partners.
- Manage data for Montgomery College and national service awards, faculty course support, and institutional assessment efforts, including service-learning course sections in Givepulse (equates to Blackboard work).
- Supporting signature Takoma Park/Silver Spring Campus events such as the Service Learning Fair.
- Establishing and managing community partnerships in support of mutually beneficial academic, co-curricular, and community outcomes.
- Supporting individual student advising and placement at volunteer sites for career and leadership development.
- Serving on the collegewide Community Engaged Teaching and Learning Advisory Committee.
- Training students and preparing students to serve in various capacities.
- Master’s degree with a preference for student development, higher education or counseling.
- A minimum of one-year teaching experience.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule that might include evenings and weekends.
- Computer and Internet experience required (Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point).
- Experience with social media applications such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- Experience with curriculum development.
- Possess strong communication skills.
- Possess event planning and project management experience.
- Experience with evaluation and assessment tools.
- Familiarity with high impact practices and integrative learning.
- Knowledge of academic technologies such as Blackboard.
- Must have experience participating in and coordinating service learning projects, community service projects or related programs.
- Must have strong knowledge of, experience with, and/or demonstrated interest in student leadership and the development and implementation of leadership development programs/workshops.
- Faculty members are expected to have access to a personal computer with virus protection that can connect to the internet outside of the work location (i.e., office, classroom, college campus). Montgomery College (MC) provides an MC e-mail account and access to the learning platform, password-protected faculty sections of the website, college listservs, and other faculty communications tools.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States without a sponsor.
- Experience working with community college students, and a diverse student population.
- Knowledge of Student Development Theories
- Knowledge of Service Learning Theories
As a condition of employment, the following are required at the time of hire:
- Successful completion of a background check and degree verification (if applicable). Must provide proof of US degree equivalency for international degrees.
Montgomery College is a tobacco and smoke-free environment
For disability related accommodations please call 240-567-5353 or send an email to: email@example.com at least two weeks in advance.
Montgomery College is an academic institution committed to promoting equal opportunity and fostering diversity among its student body, faculty, and staff.
Closing DateFriday, September 10, 2021