EXTENSION AGENT - FAMILY CONSUMER SCIENCES (FAYETTE COUNTY)
PRINCIPAL PURPOSE OF JOB: Extension agents are community based professionals of Kentucky State University who make a difference by connecting community needs with university resources. Family Consumer Sciences Extension agents develop, conduct and deliver educational programs based on locally identified needs, which lead to improved quality of life for children and families.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY: The Extension Agent for Family and Consumer Sciences (FCS) is responsible for planning, implementing and evaluating effective and comprehensive educational programs and training. The FCS programs and training is designed to solve social and economic problems confronting socially disadvantaged and limited resource families. The FCS Extension Agent is responsible for non-formal educational programs in family development and management including nutrition, child development, financial management, and parenting. The agent will work closely with the FCS Program Leader for all programmatic efforts. This position will be a member of the off-campus Extension staff of Kentucky State University as part of the Kentucky Cooperative Extension System, which is composed of individuals and programs from both Kentucky State University and the University of Kentucky. The FCS Extension Agent reports to the Assistant Extension Administrator for County Operations. This position will serve all clientele and give them an equal opportunity to participate in programs regardless of race, gender, age, color, sex, religion, disability, or national origin.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: (ex: duties that are essential to performing the job with or without accommodation)
1. Work with and/or develop advisory committees to facilitate community involvement in programming.
2. Design, implement, and evaluate educational programs through virtual and face-to-face in the areas of family resource management and development including child development, financial management, nutrition, and parenting in the county.
3. Review the needs within the Extension assigned area and support local programs with resource information.
4. Conduct programs that reach underserved and diverse audience.
5. Collaborate in internal and external Extension partners.
6. Maintain records, clientele sign-in sheets, and submit reports as required by the Kentucky Extension Reporting System.
7. Collaborate with local community members, partner organizations and Extension faculty to develop and implement educational programming assuring that all citizens have equal access to programming.
8. Utilize a variety of educational strategies to implement programming. Examples include informal classes, presentations, media, volunteers, demonstrations, experiential learning, distance learning and group facilitation. Collect evidence of program impact to market, report results and improve the program.
OTHER DUTIES: The position will conduct other duties as required.
Bachelor’s Degree in any discipline related to Family & Consumer Science, to include; Family Development, Human Nutrition, Consumer Economics or any closely-related field. Degree from AAFCS accredited institution preferred. Master’s degree in child development, family and consumer sciences, or a related field. Three to five years of experience in related field strongly preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
• Ability to use a personal computer and a variety of related software applications; Expert use of Microsoft applications a must: Vista, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access.
• Ability to utilize social media platforms for programming efforts.
• Ability to develop media resources for programming efforts.
• Knowledge of research and educational capabilities of USDA and the Land Grant system knowledge base.
• Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
• Experience working with diverse populations.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL EFFORT:
• In-state and out-of-state travel required.
• Occasional evening and weekend schedule required.
• Must be able to lift at least 40 lbs.
• No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
• Requires some standing or walking.
• A valid driver license and a personal vehicle for official duty travel are required. Mileage will be reimbursed at a rate established by the university.
KENTUCKY STATE UNIVERSITY is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The functions, qualifications, knowledge/skills, and physical requirements listed in this job description represent the essential duties of the job, which the incumbent must be able to perform either with or without reasonable accommodation. The Job Functions listed do not necessarily include all activities that the individual may perform.