Posting #: 3616Position Title & Department:
Position Status: Full-time temporary
Location: San Diego
Position Type: Staff, Continuing Education
Program Assistant, Professional and Public Programs; Continuing EducationPosting #
The University of San Diego's Division of Professional and Continuing Education (PCE) offers a robust portfolio of courses and programs needed by aspiring professionals that evolves in response to their professional development in the fields of business, education, and health care.
PCE nurtures key partnerships on the local, national and international level to better serve working professionals who seek to enhance or build their careers, as well as with their employers to help achieve their highest value and potential. With University of San Diego faculty and expert practitioners, we create educational opportunities and programs that students need to:
- Improve performance with new skills and knowledge
- Advance in their careers and open doors to new opportunities
- Make positive, meaningful change in their organizations and communities
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.Detailed Description:
This is a full-time, temporary, benefit-based position with an anticipated end date of June 30, 2022.
The Program Assistant provides support to all individuals seeking information, enrollment and assistance with any course, program and degree offered through Professional and Continuing Education. This position requires excellent communication skills for a fast-paced office environment that supports the enrollment and learning needs of students and prospective students. Must possess the ability to handle multiple tasks, requests, and web-based information tools in a calm and effective manner. This position requires a detail-oriented, independent worker who has the ability to collaborate and contribute in a team environment. The Program Assistant/Senior Program Assistant will answer a busy, multi-line telephone; take registrations for courses and other related items over the phone, the Internet and in person. Other related duties may include: prepare and process all instructional contracts, prepare and process instructional payments, and post grades for credit validation. In addition, process registrations, organize both incoming and outgoing mail, process student transcript requests, and order office supplies, and stock all office machines (fax, copier and printers). Must have excellent spelling and grammar skills. The Program Assistant/Senior Program Assistant must have excellent customer service, organizational and communication skills. Proven ability using computers for business applications, including word-processing, spreadsheets, data management and administrative systems software. Customer/student support experience preferred.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Process daily enrollments, student course requests and transcript requests.
• Enrolls or assists students to enroll in PCE courses via telephone, and in person on a daily basis.• Processes student requests for course transfers and drops, which may include refund processing.• Processes all transcript requests, handles mail requests, responsible for printing and mailing on a daily basis.• Updates students’ personal information, e.g., name, address, telephone, social security number and email address, to ensure current and accurate student records.• Adds registrations to the enrollment system.• Processes general information requests received via email, telephone or in person. Replies to email requests with appropriate information, or redirects as needed.• Respond to basic course inquiries for Professional and Public Programs as needed.
Customer service, student support, prospective student service, general public communications.
• Serves as front-line information center to respond to and service calls.• Records and manages student communications in multiple web-based customer relationship and student information systems.• Redirects calls to proper individuals if calls cannot be immediately serviced when answered.• Checks and redirects voicemail. Returns calls for questions that cannot be addressed and handled by the Student Service Center.• Handles confidential and sensitive information with discretion and tact.• Responds to all inquiries (telephone, Internet, email, walk-in) with courtesy, tact and patience.• Exhaust all avenues to properly respond to student, prospective student other individual requests from general public about all courses, programs and activities of Professional and Continuing Education.
• Serves as office lead for ordering all supplies with university-approved vendors.• Responsible for stocking all office machines, including fax, copiers and printers.• Orders appropriate supplies as needed.• Responsible for opening, sorting and distributing all incoming office mail.• Serves as division liaison with campus Mail Center.• Updates and maintains some division mailing lists. • Prints mailing address labels for use by instructors to mail brochures and flyers.• Other duties as assigned. Job Requirements:
• Requires HS Diploma plus two years related experience. A bachelor’s degree is preferred; college education may substitute for experience at the rate of 2 years education = 1 year experience. Minimum of one year in a position that required critical thinking and analytical skills required.• At least 1 year experience in customer service.•Excellent written and oral communication skills.• Demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks.• Excellent attention to detail.• Excellent customer service skills.• Excellent organization skills.• Excellent spelling and grammar skills.• Demonstrated ability to use web-based student information and customer relationship management tools.• Strong computer skills in word processing, spreadsheet and data management.
Performance Expectations - Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Service student requests for enrollments, transfers, and drops.
• Effectively respond to PCE calls and emails with information requested.• Process refunds, transcripts and certificates.• Manages multiple requests from a variety of communications channels.• Maintains high levels of efficiency when using data systems and data formats.• Develop a working knowledge and use of the student enrollment system(s) and the CRM system.• Stay informed of continuing program and course developments within PCE.• Collaborate and support other team members in assigned area.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes. Posting Salary:
Commensurate with Experience; Excellent Benefits Special Application Instructions:
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
Resume and Cover Letter Required
Click Apply Now to complete our online application. In addition, please upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at [email protected] Additional Details:
Hours: 37.5 per week
Closing date: Open until filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
Advertised: June 10, 2021 Pacific Daylight Time
Applications close: Open until filled