Overview and Responsibilities
The HVAC Instructional Assistant assists HVAC Instructors in engaging learners through aligned curriculum and performance-based instruction and to provide timely feedback on work performed in the lab. This position assists in maintaining the HVAC lab and equipment for a safe and professional work environment for students and visitors; develops training aids to increase student learning for course content; and orders supplies and parts as needed. This position reports to the Dean of the Agriculture, Energy, Construction & Transportation program and is also provided work direction by the HVAC Instructors.
- Assist in student learning in all lab courses in the Air Conditioning, Heating & Refrigeration programs.
- Maintain, diagnose, repair equipment in the HVAC lab.
- Inspect and maintain safety and security items for the lab.
- Order and maintain an inventory of required parts and supplies.
- Develop and build training aids for course content.
- Set up lab equipment for daily activities.
- Direct activities of work study students.
- Assist in recruiting students.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to understand and use technology for service information and diagnostics.
- Must be proficient with HVAC equipment in order to develop training aids.
- Ability to model integrity through self-awareness, personal accountability, ethical behavior, quality standards, and sustainable practices.
- Ability to think critically by applying problem solving practices, acquiring relevant information, using technology and other resources appropriately, and evaluating alternatives.
- Ability to communicate effectively by speaking and writing clearly, concisely, and professionally; practicing active listening; reading critically and adapting communication for audience.
- Ability to value diversity by recognizing personal biases, adapting to culturally diverse situations, and demonstrating a commitment to equity, inclusion, and respectful interactions with persons of diverse ethnic, cultural, social-economic, or educational backgrounds.
- Intermediate knowledge of and skills with technology including software programs for communication, data collection, and decision making including, but not limited to, Microsoft Office Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- Technical diploma in Air Conditioning, Heating & Refrigeration or equivalent training.
- Minimum of two years of HVAC industry experience, four or more years preferred.
- Current Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) 608 Universal Refrigerant Handling certification.
In evaluating candidates for this position, the College may consider a combination of education, training, and experience which provides the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities to perform duties of position.As an equal opportunity/access employer and educator, CVTC is committed to creating and sustaining a diverse and inclusive environment. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
Prorated benefits based on 63.5% of full-time:
- Health insurance for employee, spouse, and dependents with attached Health Savings Account (HSA) and wellness incentive
- Dental insurance for employee, spouse, and dependents
- Life and long-term disability insurance (must meet minimum requirements)
- Wisconsin Retirement System (must meet minimum requirements)
- 403(b) tax deferred annuity program
- 457(b) deferred compensation plan
- Section 125 flexible spending accounts
- Paid vacation, personal, and sick time
- Paid holidays
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Professional development
Generally, with the exception of tuition reimbursement, benefits eligibility begins on the first date of employment (i.e., there is no waiting period).
CVTC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age in its programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the college's non-discrimination policies: Director of Human Resources, 620 W. Clairemont Avenue, Eau Claire, WI 54701, 715-833-6334, WI Relay: 711