Job no: 500502
Work type: Instructional Faculty - Temporary/Lecturer
Location: San José
Categories: Unit 3 - CFA - California Faculty Association, Faculty - Letters/Humanities, Temporary, Part Time
World Languages & Literatures Department faculty are highly qualified, international, accomplished and dedicated teachers and scholars who prepare students to become tomorrow's productive citizens in an increasingly multicultural, multilingual global community. We actively support study abroad, clubs and other organizations related to world languages and international studies at San José State University. The Department promotes proficiency in languages, knowledge of cultures and literatures and a genuine appreciation of differences and similarities shared among peoples and nations. We offer minor, B.A., M.A. and single subject teaching credential programs in a variety of world languages.
For more information, visit www.sjsu.edu/wll.
Brief Description of Duties
- Teach undergraduate courses in introductory to advanced foreign language (upper division literature or linguistics courses may be assigned based on qualifications and need); hold regular office hours; work cooperatively with staff, chair, and other faculty members; participate in course assessment activities; address the needs of a student population of great diversity – in age, cultural background, ethnicity, primary language and academic preparation.
- Candidate must demonstrate awareness and experience understanding the needs of a student population of great diversity – in age, cultural background, ethnicity, primary language and academic preparation – through inclusive course materials, teaching strategies and advisement.
- All Faculty should be organizing their classes within the Canvas Learning Management System (LMS), the official LMS provided for the SJSU community. All classes at SJSU, whether online or not, must be anchored in the Canvas platform to ensure faculty-student connection in a common space as all students are directed to log in to Canvas for online access to their classes. You will have access to this system prior to the semester start date.
- M.A., Ph.D. or equivalent in a language or literature other than English (or related field); native or near-native competence in the language of instruction as well as English
- Strong teaching skills and competence or training in second language pedagogy, and possibly technology-enhanced language learning.
- Awareness of and sensitivity to the educational goals of a multicultural population as might have been gained in cross-cultural study, training, teaching and/or other comparable experience.
- Languages currently taught in the Department of World Languages and Literatures: Chinese (Mandarin/Cantonese), French, German, Greek (classical), Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Persian/Farsi, Portuguese, Spanish, Vietnamese.
Please be advised that an appointment is contingent upon budget and enrollment considerations and subject to order of assignment provisions in the collective bargaining agreement between California State University and California Faculty Association. These provisions state the “Order of Work,” or the order in which available courses must be assigned to faculty, starting with tenure line faculty and ending with new lecturer appointees.
Salary Range - To commensurate with experience.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Cover Letter
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy (optional)
- Statement of Expertise, including professional experience, courses you are qualified to teach
- List of References
This is a continuing open position.
San José State University enrolls over 35,700 students, a significant percentage of whom are members of minority groups. As such, this position is for scholars interested in a career at a national leader in graduating URM students. SJSU is a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander (AANAPISI) Serving Institution; 40% of our students are first-generation, and 38% are Pell-qualified. The university is currently ranked third nationally in increasing student upward mobility. The University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty so our disciplines, students, and the community can benefit from multiple ethnic and gender perspectives.
San José State University is California’s oldest institution of public higher learning. Located in downtown San José (Pop. 1,000,000) in the heart of Silicon Valley, SJSU is part of one of the most innovative regions in the world. As Silicon Valley’s public university, SJSU combines dynamic teaching, research, and university-industry experiences to prepare students to address the biggest problems facing society. SJSU is a member of the 23-campus California State University (CSU) system.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. This policy applies to all San José State University students, faculty, and staff as well as University programs and activities. Reasonable accommodations are made for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose. Note that all San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Advertised: June 10, 2021 (9:00 AM) Pacific Daylight Time
Applications close: Open until filled