Job location: Charlottesville, VA Employment Type:
Full-time Posted data:
Facilities Management (FM) supports the University of Virginia's wide range of research, academic and patient care programs. With over 1,200 employees dedicated to excellence, Facilities Management is responsible for the day-to-day operation, repair, and maintenance of UVA's buildings, infrastructure, and grounds as well as other University-owned and leased properties.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Plumber who supports Facilities Management's goal of providing consistent, cost effective, and reliable maintenance and service to the Central Grounds zone. The Central Grounds zone provides facilities services to properties including the new Student Health and Wellness Center opening in 2021.
The incumbent should be a team player who can work independently, as well as on a crew, and is comfortable working in an occupied environment. This individual will work on a variety of projects and must be familiar with both residential and commercial property maintenance. Specifically, they should be proficient in installing, maintaining, repairing, and troubleshooting building components and systems such as, but not limited to, shower/lavatory faucets, ball valves, p-traps, sinks, building drains, vents, water distribution systems, water closets, and water heaters. In addition, they will be responsible for removing blockages in building drains using both electric and hand equipment. Furthermore, they will be responsible for ensuring that proper trade methods, techniques, and materials are followed when working with pipe, fittings, and fixtures.
The plumber will work collaboratively to assist with building maintenance tasks and a variety of internal/external preventive maintenance inspections.
This is a non-exempt position that will requires the incumbent to be assignable to a call back schedule to perform emergency repair work during off shift hours on occasional evenings and weekends.
- Troubleshooting, isolating and repairing plumbing and mechanical components, in both commercial and residential environments.
- Performing preventative maintenance on all plumbing systems and update or repair the systems when necessary.
- Assist other trades’ personnel when needed to include carpentry, HVAC, general maintenance, appliance repair, snow/ice removal, and other miscellaneous tasks or as directed by supervisor.
- Perform all work in accordance with safety rules and procedures, such as OSHA, BOCA, federal, state, and local regulations, and applicable building codes.
- Respond to requests from the University community and address plumbing problems quickly and professionally.
- Inform customers of job status, reasons for and duration of expected delays, as well as refer customers to the supervisor when appropriate.
- Ensure that all safety and personal protective equipment is used.
- Using CMMS to maintain accurate records on time tickets, job requests, and work orders.
- Perform miscellaneous duties such as snow and ice removal and special events setups, as needed.
- In addition to the above job responsibilities, other duties may be assigned.
- Education: High school diploma or equivalent
- Experience: A minimum of four years of experience in all aspects of the plumbing operations trade including troubleshooting plumbing and other mechanical problems.
- Licensure: Journeyman or higher plumbing license. Licensed with Backflow Certification strongly preferred.
- Valid Driver's license is required.
The Anticipated Hiring Range for this position is $20.60 – $24.03 per hour ($42,848 - $50,000 per annum)
For this position, the selected candidate will need to complete the required background checks including a health screen prior to the start date of the position.
To Apply: Process for External Applicants: Please apply through Workday, and search for ‘R0025382.’ Complete an application online and attach a resume and contact information for three references (name, email address, telephone number, and address). Process for Internal UVA Applicants: Please apply through your Workday Home page, search “Find Jobs,” and search for ‘R0025382.' Complete an application online and attach a resume, and contact information for three references (name, email address, telephone number, and address). Please note that multiple documents can be uploaded in the box. Applications that do not contain all of the required documents will not receive full consideration. Preference will be given to applications received by July 11, 2021. For information regarding the position or the application process, please contact Michele Jarman at email@example.com.
Employee must be able to variously sit, stand, walk, climb stairs and ladders, crawl, stoop, bend, squat, lift, pull, and use both hands-on repetitive tasks (including overhead tasks). Employee must have normal vision and hearing (correctable), and for some areas of employment, color vision and sense of smell.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.