Summary of Responsibilities
The DATA ENGINEER will primarily assist DUMAC’s Senior Database Architect in the modification, implementation, and maintenance of DUMAC’s SQLserver-based data warehouse. As a key member of the Engineering Team, he/she will perform work associated with implementing DUMAC’s overall data and technology strategy. The ideal candidate will have a mix of technical and business skills to work with all levels of the organization to complete projects and support existing applications while working in a fast- paced organization. The candidate must be a proactive go-getter with intellectual curiosity and keen attention to detail. Working knowledge of institutional investments and related research tools is a plus in this position.
- Develop and deploy SQL code and application updates from development to production environments as needed
- Migrate, consolidate, and update batch processes using SQL, Python scripts
- Monitor and proactively plan for database expansion and performance by understanding the business’s growth, plans, and requirements
- Monitor database environments and research and resolve support issues which may arise
- Assist in developing, implementing, and monitoring data governance rules
- Assist in developing, implementing, and monitoring data quality checks
- Collaborate with business lines by providing technical and business expertise to assist with architecting new solutions and reviewing existing application architecture to ensure developed applications meet current and future business needs
- Develop and maintain related operational and system level documentation
- Other duties incidental to the work described herein
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and thrive in a team setting
- Highly motivated and goal-oriented individual who has the drive to take tasks to completion
- Humble and flexible with the ability to multi-task and adapt to changing needs
- Excellent analytical skills
- Strong interpersonal skills as well as excellent communication skills, both oral and written, with both technical and non-technical users
- Ability to prioritize workload, set deadlines independently, and complete tasks in a timely and efficient manner
- Minimum 3 years of SQL Server experience in a production environment
- Demonstrated proficiency using Devops processes and source control
- Demonstrated work ing knowledge with MS Powershell and Python
- Demonstrated proficiency in data analysis, data management, and analytics
- Demonstrated proficiency using data transformation (ETL) processes and tools
- Experience with BI reporting such as Tableau, MS PowerBI or equivalent
- Experience with job and/or batch schedule s
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or computer-related field
Graduate degree preferred
Work requires analytical skills generally acquired through completion of a bachelor's degree in Finance, Accounting, Economics, Management Science or a related quantitatively oriented field.
Work requires the ability to analyze and evaluate investment performance generally acquired through one year of experience in the investment or a related field. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.