Lab Manager (SRA 2, 9612C) 19611
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: June 24, 2021
The Barton Lab is seeking a Lab Manager. We are an academic research lab investigating how the immune system functions. Our work sheds light on mechanisms underlying autoimmunity and inflammatory diseases. The lab is part of the Division of Immunology and Pathogenesis in the Department of Molecular and Cell Biology at the University of California, Berkeley.
The Lab Manager is responsible for all aspects of the day-to-day operations of the lab, including (but not limited to) purchasing, receiving, unpacking of reagents, general lab organization, and managing lab safety compliance. In addition, a significant effort will be dedicated to maintaining the large mouse colony maintained by the lab.
Maintenance of mouse colony
- Cutting tails
- Overseeing breeding
- Preparing a weekly census
- Isolation of DNA from cut tails
- PCR screening of tail DNA to determine genotypes
- Manage and train undergraduate assistants
- Order mice as necessary
- Coordinate receiving/delivery of mice
Act as lab manager
- Organize lab
- Unpack received items
- Order supplies for the lab, go to the stockroom
- Maintain lab inventory
- Make buffers, solutions, common reagents for the lab as needed
- Grow various cell lines
- Prepare bone marrow derived macrophages and dendritic cells from different mouse strains
Assist other lab members with animal procedures and experiments
Act as Lab Safety officer
- Perform monthly radioactivity surveys
- Maintain chemical inventory
- Train new lab members in lab safety procedures
Other duties as assigned
- Experience with mice handling and manipulation (e.g., attaching eartags, tail snipping, necropsy).
- Experience growing mammalian cells in tissue culture.
- Experience with DNA isolation and PCR.
- Must have proficiency in MS Office, Google Suite software.
- Strong organizational skills.
- A willingness to learn new techniques and skills is essential.
- Good interpersonal skills are also necessary, as the job will require working in a group environment.
- Must be willing to work with mice, viral and bacterial preparations, and radioisotopes.
- Must be able to work on feet for extended periods of time, up to 6 hours a day.
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in the biomedical or health sciences and/or equivalent experience/training.
- At least 2 years working as a technician in an academic or industry laboratory (or equivalent).
- Experience working with bacterial or viral pathogens at Biosafety Level 2
- Experience with standard molecular biology and biochemistry protocols
Salary & Benefits
This is a monthly-paid (exempt) role. Annual salary will be commensurate with experience (stepped rates).
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the agreement for the Research Support Professionals Unit (RX) between the University of California and the University Professional and Technical Employees (UPTE). The current bargaining agreement manual can be found at: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/labor/bargaining-units/rx/index.html
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=19611&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency