UNT System Overview:
Welcome to the University of North Texas System, or UNT World as we like to call ourselves. UNT World includes the University of North Texas in Denton, the University of North Texas at Dallas and the University of North Texas Health Science Center in Fort Worth. We are the only university system based exclusively in the robust Dallas-Fort Worth region and we are committed to transforming lives and creating economic opportunity through education. We are growing with the DFW region, enrolling a record 47,000+ students across our system and awarding nearly 12,000 degrees each year.Posting Title:
Senior Facilities Planning ManagerDepartment:
DentonFull Time/Part Time:
Salary commensurate with experienceDepartment Summary:
Facilities Planning, Design and Construction (FPDC) consists of six sub-groups: Campus Planning, Auxiliary Planning, Landscape Planning, Engineering, Estimating, Construction Inspection, and Facilities Information Services. For additional information on FPDC you may visit our website at: https://facilities.unt.edu/about/planning-design-construction
The primary purpose of FPDC is to oversee planning, design, renovation and construction efforts to physical facilities on the UNT Denton campus and to maintain all building records for the campus. FPDC is responsible for serving the campus as a resource for estimating, site design, architectural, landscape and interior design, construction management, furniture procurement, campus mapping, space analysis, & long-range planning services and ensuring compliance with all applicable State & Federal statutes, laws and codes related to State buildings, procurement and construction. FPDC also maintains building records for all campus facilities including utility & infrastructure maps, surveys, site plans, floor plans, construction documents, & other building records. We also act in an advisory capacity for System managed projects.
As one of the nation’s largest public universities and the most comprehensive in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, we are dedicated to providing an excellent educational experience to a diverse student body of approximately 38,000 students. UNT is a student-focused Tier One Public Research University with 12 colleges and schools offering 101 bachelors, 82 masters, and 38 doctoral degree programs, many nationally and internationally recognized. With more than 400 student organizations, NCAA Division I athletics and an array of concerts presented by our world-renowned College of Music, there’s something for everyone at UNT. UNT has been named by Forbes as one of America’s 100 Best College Buys® for 21 consecutive years, the state’s most affordable research university, according to the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, and The Princeton Review named us a “Best in the West” university. Livability.com named Denton the 9th Best College Town in the nation.
The Facilities organization at UNT is a service provider comprised of the following divisions FPDC; Facilities Maintenance (FM) and Facilities Support & Services (FSS). We are responsible for the planning, renovation, maintenance and repair of university buildings and facilities, as well as other services playing an essential role to the mission of the University of North Texas. Facilities has over 325 employees who lead the way in caring for and operating over 170 facilities and 904 acres of landscape. Our goal is to provide world-class support for the University by ensuring safe, reliable, efficient facility and utility services delivered with outstanding customer services and effective stewardship of resources and the environment. For additional information on Facilities, you may visit our website at: https://facilities.unt.edu/about/maintenance .Position Overview:
The Facilities Department at the University of North Texas is seeking to hire a Sr Facilities Planning Manager to join our team.
• Sets goals and objectives of the design department.
• Recruits, supervises and manages project-related staff and is responsible for
• Prepares reports for internal and external reporting requirements.
• Initiates, manages and implements long-range strategic planning initiatives.
• Organizes and develops internal standard operating procedures and processes.
• Conducts special studies for evaluation of existing buildings and systems.
• Serves as technical advisor on construction principles, code interpretation, building
systems and project requirements.
• Identifies, allocates and monitors funding sources and budgets for projects,
including long-term budgetary planning.
Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Supervises direct reports and manages the department of Auxiliary Planning consisting of maintenance and renovation projects including CIP projects.
- Prepares, monitors and accounts, budgets and schedules for all projects assigned to the department for management, design and construction services.
- Develops and oversees conformance with departmental construction project procedures and processes and campus wide procurement protocols.
- Serves as technical advisor for constructability and architectural design for the department.
- Ensures compliance with state statutory and university mandates, laws and construction codes. Also ensures construction is per UNT specifications.
- Oversees programming, design, furniture and construction implementation efforts to Housing & Dining operations.
- Works with Residence Life, Dining Services and Facilities Technical personnel to coordinate design & construction issues and ensure we provide the appropriate level of service to the campus community.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s Degree in Architecture, Engineering or Interior Design, and ten years ofKnowledge, Skills and Abilities:
progressively responsible professional experience; or any equivalent combination of
experience, education, and training
• Excellent communication skills.Preferred Qualifications:
• Physical ability to access work areas which may be in confined spaces or
• Knowledge of appropriate building codes, safety and security precautions
appropriate to work performed.
• Demonstrated proficiency in building and interior design.
• Strong supervisory and management experience.
• Depth of knowledge in construction methods and building systems.
• Current knowledge of building codes and construction principals.
• Ability to use Microsoft Office suite including Excel, Word, Power Point. Familiar
with AutoCAD and other specific software drawing programs.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
Required License / Registration / Certification:
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Project Management experience working for a Texas state or public agency especially Higher Ed institutions.
- Licensed Architect in the state of Texas.
- APPA CEFP credential or ability to obtain within 18 months of hire.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of sustainable design practices.
- Proficiency with AutoCAD, Sketch-up, any other technical drawing software and project budgeting/estimating using Microsoft Excel.
Possession of a valid Texas driver’s license or ability to obtain within 30 days of employment; ability to drive a vehicle and maintain coverage under University liability insurance policy, if required to drive University vehicles.Work Schedule:
Monday – ThursdayDriving University Vehicle:
7:30 am – 5:00 pm
Friday 7:30 am – 2:30 PM
This is a security sensitive positionEEO Statement:
The University of North Texas System and its component institutions are committed to equal opportunity and comply with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University of North Texas System and its component institutions do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, and employment practices.Classification Title:
Sr Facilities Planning ManagerPhysical Requirements:
Carrying, Cleaning, Climbing, Crawling, Driving, Kneeling, Lifting up to 25 pounds, Pulling , Pushing, Reaching, Sitting, Squatting, Stooping, Bending, Standing, Twisting, Walking, Writing, Grasp, Talk or Hear, Ability to communicatePosting Number:
S2156PSpecial Instructions to Applicants:
Applicants must submit a resume, a cover letter and a list of three professional references with their online application.Quicklink for Posting: