Job no: 495694About Us:
Work type: Non-Classified/Professional
Location: Boise, ID
Boise State University, powered by creativity and innovation, stands uniquely positioned in the Northwest as a metropolitan research university of distinction. Learn more about Boise State and the City of Boise at https://www.boisestate.edu/about/boise-and-beyond/. Boise State University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Boise State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply. We are a welcoming campus that supports diversity and inclusion.Job Summary/Basic Function:
Provide visionary leadership to the following elements of an intentional on-campus living environment for college students: Assignments, Billing, Conference and Guest Housing, Customer Service, Information Technology, Marketing, and Outreach. This includes, but is not limited to supervising Assignments, Conference and Guest Housing, Customer Service, and Information Technology full-time staff and serving as the liaison with Student Affairs Marketing to update and maintain all marketing/messaging efforts for the department.Department Overview:
Boise State University invites interested applicants for the position of Associate Director of Housing Operations to become a part of the Housing and Residence Life team as we provide a vibrant residential experience that promotes inclusiveness, learning, academic excellence, and meaningful relationships. This work occurs as we embark on continued growth and serve an on-campus population of approximately 3,000 students. The Associate Director will be responsible for leading a housing operations team, summer guest housing, and university-owned apartments.
This is a perfect job for you if you:
- Are passionate about the development and support of student and professional staff.
- Love (and excel at) the administrative work that is needed for the job.
- Are organized and detailed oriented
- Love using data to inform your decisions
- Communicate often and well with those you work for and with
- Are not afraid to try new things
- Take ownership in building a positive work culture
- Have a passion for systems thinking and innovating processes
- Exude a positive attitude
- Think in terms of what is possible
- Thrive in a fast-paced department where we lean into ambiguity
- Stay focused on meeting the needs of students and families
- Enjoy building relationships
You will join a team that is creating an exciting environment, values collaboration and teamwork and is welcoming to all Boise State students, faculty and staff. We are creating a workplace that values the voices and contributions of employees at all levels, listens, and responds to our community.Level Scope:
Spends the majority of time (50% or more) achieving organizational objectives through the coordinated achievements of subordinate staff. Manages experienced professionals who exercise latitude and independence in assignments. Establishes departmental goals and objectives, functions with autonomy. Manages the accountability and stewardship of human, financial, and often physical resources in compliance with departmental and campus wide goals and objectives. Ensures subordinate supervisors and professionals adhere to defined internal controls with a focus on policy and strategy implementation. Manages systems and procedures to protect departmental assets and requires practical knowledge in leading and managing the execution of processes, projects and tactics within one area. May report to a Chair, Unit Director, or equivalent administrative management.Essential Functions:
Occupancy Management and Revenue Generation, 30%Collaborate with Residential Community staff to determine an effective configuration of residential spaces to maximize occupancy; maintain configuration rosters and floor plans; and provides reports as required.Maximize occupancy in order to meet revenue targets in residence halls and apartments.
Ensures that housing operations policies, processes and strategies are aligned with the department’s educational and financial goals.Analyzes and works to improve marketing and recruitment materials on the housing website.Oversees and audits all campus housing assignment and billing processes including large, on-going and special assignments, as well as the housing database including room changes, contract cancellations, and room accounts.Oversees and provides support to conference and guest housing operations, striving to ensure high summer conference occupancy, excellent customer service, high retention of conference groups, and consistent guest housing occupancy.Oversee and provide support to university apartments, including two complexes on Yale Court that house individual fraternity and sorority chapter students.Oversees the operational transitions and events associated with move-in/move-out, spring to summer and summer to fall.
- Build reports and manage accurate data in the housing database.
- Engage in research and process improvement to maximize efficiencies in housing operations.
Customer Service, Marketing, and Communication, 30%
- Functions as departmental liaison to Admissions, Educational Access Center, Center for Global Education, Student Affairs Marketing, among others.
- Works to develop publication/communication pieces in multiple media to build Housing and Residence Life's relationship with student staff, professional staff, students (current and prospective), parents/families, and other departments.
- Responsible for website content including: modifying existing pages, creating new pages, organizing overall content, writing text, uploading images/videos, managing google analytics, etc.
- Responds to the needs and problems of residents and parents/family members in a conscientious, appropriate, and timely manner. Meets with students, investigates issues, provides written follow-up to student concerns/complaints. Resolves severe or sensitive student or parental/family member concerns.
- Develops and implements improved housing operations and customer service processes based upon best practices and assessment.
- Evaluates and develops technical amenities/improvements provided for on-campus students.
- Works with student affairs marketing to ensure all communications are compliant with brand standards.
- Manages internal communication process and platform that empowers brand compliant communication throughout the department.
- Helps to manage and prioirtize communication and marketing projects within the department.
Staff Support and Supervision, 25%
- Responsible for recruitment, selection, training, supervision, continued development, assessment, and evaluation of Housing Operations staff
- Facilitates the effective development of a cooperative and collaborative working relationship among professional and student staff members.
Departmental and Administrative, 15%Interprets rules, regulations, policies and procedures, and ensures staff compliancePrepares and allocates spending within assigned areas, ensuring sound fiscal operationsShares in the on-call emergency response rotation for Housing and Residence Life with other exempt staff in direct support of the RD on Duty.Coordinates efforts with the Director and department leadership team to ensure housing and conference procedures and protocols are being adhered to and modified as necessary.Oversee departmental analytics efforts and data requestsUpdates and manages the department’s crisis response planCo-chairs committees as assignedManage contracts germane to the work of housing operations.Works with University General Counsel to update housing license agreements and other contractsKnowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Experience supervising professional staff in addition to knowledge of inclusive and effective recruitment
- Administrative skills, including the ability to organize a variety of projects in all areas of the department
- Experience working in a professional position in residence life
- Knowledge of student development theory to inform programs, services, policies and procedures
- Knowledge and/or experience overseeing conference or guest housing at a college or university
Bachelor’s degree or relevant experience plus 5 years experience including 1-year managerial experience.Preferred Qualifications:
Salary and Benefits:
- Knowledge of inclusive and effective recruitment, selection, training, assessing and evaluation practices.
- Master's Degree in Business, Higher Education, Student Affairs, College Student Personnel or related field
- Experience developing and implementing room/bed management procedures, protocols and designs.
- 3-5 years of experience supervising and supporting professional staff
- Experience using data analytics and/or assessment to drive improvements and change
- Experiencing using one or more innovation tools: systems thinking, agile, lean and/or design thinking.
- Experience with website content management and/or marketing
- Working knowledge and/or operation of one or more the following computer software/programs: Microsoft Office, Peoplesoft, Adirondack Solutions (The Housing Director), Seattle Tech (Conference Programmer), Google Apps, Simplicity (Advocate Conduct module), etc.
- Fluency in two or more languages (e.g. Spanish) to better meet students’ needs
Salary ranges from $65,000 to $73,000 depending on experience. Boise State University is committed to offering a benefits package that provides health and financial protection plans as well as resources to promote health and well-being. Our program provides flexibility so you can choose the benefits that are right for you and your family. Learn more about our benefit options at https://www.boisestate.edu/hrs/benefits/.Required Application Materials:
Please provide a cover letter indicating interest and a resume with employment history.
Advertised: June 10, 2021 Mountain Daylight Time
Applications close: July 5, 2021 11:55 PM Mountain Daylight Time