Posting Code: 3112790About Us:
Work type: Classified
Location: Boise, ID
Categories: Customer Service, Mechanical, Safety and Security, Student Services
Boise State University, powered by creativity and innovation, stands uniquely positioned in the Northwest as a metropolitan research university of distinction. Learn more about Boise State and the City of Boise at https://www.boisestate.edu/about/boise-and-beyond/. Boise State University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Boise State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply. We are a welcoming campus that supports diversity and inclusion.Job Summary/Basic Function:
To operate and maintain motor vehicles over 8000 pounds gross vehicle weight to transport personnel and/or materials; perform related work.Level Scope:
Applies basic skills while developing some specialized skills in procedures, operations, techniques, tools, materials, and/or equipment appropriate to area of specialization; performs routine and/or repetitive tasks; limited decision making required; generally works under close supervision; has no or limited experience; work is performed from within specific limits of established procedures and/or defined instructions.Essential Functions:
60% of Time the Motor Vehicle Operator 2 must:
● Operates commercial type vehicles; transports passengers or delivers products to designated sites; insures products and/or passengers are delivered safely within limits of motor vehicle code; insures vehicle contents are stable and within vehicle load limits; operates auxiliary equipment associated with vehicles such as hoists and loaders.
● Services vehicle with fuel, oil, and coolant; performs preventive maintenance by checking item; maintains vehicle records; observes vehicle safety and warning indicators and makes needed corrections; schedules and coordinates vehicle maintenance and repair.
● Moves and loads or unloads material for vehicle transport; pushes and maneuvers heavy objects using carts, dollies, or dumpsters weighing up to 250 pounds; determines best route and economical schedule for passenger and/or merchandise transit; keeps records related to work accomplished or products used
● May oversee activities of part time assistants or volunteers and instructs in daily operation.
Transportation Boise State RoutesKnowledge, Skills, Abilities:
Observe and correct safety and warning indicators.
Works with student drivers to ensure that all vehicles are washed and detailed
Determine best route and economical schedule for passenger and/or merchandise transit
Keep records related to work accomplished or products used
Acts as an on call driver in the case that another driver calls out of their shift
Assists in training new drivers. (must have in-depth knowledge of all current routes)
Works nights and weekends depending on the assigned route
Campus Security Authority: This position is identified as a “Campus Security Authority (CSA)” per the federal law known as the Clery Act. Per this law, the employee is required to report any crimes that he/she becomes aware of to the Clery Compliance Officer. Additionally, CSAs are required to complete annual training prescribed by the Clery Compliance Officer.
● Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, and procedures to promote effective security operationsMinimum Qualifications:
● Ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented
Good knowledge of: Idaho traffic safety laws; safe driving practices; vehicle service and preventive maintenance requirements.Preferred Qualifications:
Experience: safely operating commercial vehicles over 8000 pounds gross vehicle weight; detecting malfunctions in vehicle mechanical, electrical and hydraulic systems; performing minor mechanical repair work; completing vehicle operation logs. Physical ability to lift and carry objects weighing approximately 50 pounds. Valid driver's license.
Some positions require: commercial driver's license.
High school diploma or equivalentSalary and Benefits:
Clean driving record
2 years experience working in the customer service or hospitality field
Attention to detail
Excellent cognitive capabilities
Reflexes required to safely operate a commercial vehicle
Ability to read and identify landmarks on mapping tools
The starting salary for this position is $14.00 per hour. Boise State University is committed to offering a benefits package that provides health and financial protection plans as well as resources to promote health and well-being. Our program provides flexibility so you can choose the benefits that are right for you and your family. Learn more about our benefit options at https://www.boisestate.edu/hrs/benefits/.
Advertised: June 10, 2021 Mountain Daylight Time
Applications close: June 27, 2021 11:55 PM Mountain Daylight Time