Job location: Maryland - Montgomery County Employment Type:
Part-time Posted data:
Montgomery College is Maryland’s premier community college, serving more than 60,000 students each year through credit and noncredit programs. Montgomery College is one of Maryland’s most diverse community colleges, which includes more than 164 nations represented in our student body. Do you want to join us in our mission of providing an exceptional education and fostering student success? We are dedicated to providing an exceptional education for all of our students, and we recognize that our faculty and staff are integral to our continued success.Job Title
Part-time Faculty Communication StudiesJob Description Summary
The Montgomery College Communication Studies program provides students with learning opportunities in Human Communication, as well as aspects of Mass Communication. Montgomery College, Rockville Campus has a need for a Part Time Communication Studies faculty member who is an engaging and dedicated teacher. This instructor should have a high degree of professionalism, a strong commitment to our students, and demonstrate cultural competence as well as the ability to educate in an engaging manner. The successful candidate will be committed to teaching in a multi-cultural, two-year environment, and welcome the opportunity to work with students with diverse learning abilities. Montgomery College provides an excellent opportunity to teach in a large, urban community college setting.Job Description
- The listing of a course in the schedule of classes as “TBA” does not constitute an assignment.
- The hiring decision for part-time faculty involves an academic judgment and shall be determined at Management’s sole discretion.
- During the academic year part-time faculty at Montgomery College may teach no more than 11 ESH (equivalent semester hour) per semester and no more than 23 ESH per academic year.
- During summer part-time faculty at Montgomery College may teach no more than 10 ESH (equivalent semester hour) for both sessions combined.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teach introduction to Human Communication courses and/or Mass. Communication courses to Early College and Dual Enrollment high school students in a face-to-face setting both on campus and/or at any high school in Montgomery County.
- Teach a varied schedule of courses that may include morning, afternoon, accelerated, online, and/or off-campus courses in high schools, as needed.
- Stay abreast of discipline sponsored events, curriculum changes, etc. in an effort to keep students informed and engaged.
- Engage students in their learning through active and collaborative learning approaches.
- Incorporate culturally relevant pedagogies to the teaching and learning process.
- Incorporate the use of educational enterprise platform (e.g., Blackboard) and other relevant technology into instruction, including inexpensive or no-cost resources in the development and delivery of instruction.
- Master’s degree or higher in Human Communication or Communication Studies, with a minimum of 18 graduate semester hours in the discipline.
- Two years of teaching experience at the college or high school level.
- Experience teaching Introduction to Human Communication, Public Relations, Public Speaking, Interpersonal Communication, Small Group Communication, and other communication related courses.
- Ability to integrate technology and classroom related computer software and portals, including Blackboard, for course delivery.
- We seek applicants with demonstrated success in working with diverse populations.
- Faculty members are expected to have access to a personal computer with virus protection that can connect to the internet outside of the work location (i.e., office, classroom, college campus)*. Montgomery College (MC) provides an MC e-mail account and access to the learning platform, password-protected faculty sections of the website, college listservs, and other faculty communications tools. *If you do not have access to a personal computer, please notify the department chair at the time of interview. Subject to available funds, the college may be able to provide temporary access to resources.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States without a sponsor.
- Experience teaching distance learning and/or hybrid courses.
- Experience teaching Communication Studies in a post-secondary setting.
- Experience working in the field of Communications.
As a condition of employment, the following are required at the time of hire:
- Successful completion of a background check and degree verification (if applicable). Must provide proof of US degree equivalency for international degrees.
Montgomery College is a tobacco and smoke-free environment
For disability related accommodations please call 240-567-5353 or send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org at least two weeks in advance.
Montgomery College is an academic institution committed to promoting equal opportunity and fostering diversity among its student body, faculty, and staff.
Closing DateSaturday, July 31, 2021
Montgomery College is a tobacco-free and smoke-free workplace
For disability-related accommodations, please call 240-567-5353 or send an email to: email@example.com.
Two (2) weeks’ notice required to provide accommodations.
Montgomery College is an academic institution committed to promoting
equal opportunity and fostering diversity among its student body, faculty, and staff.