Individual will perform all duties associated directly with regular cleaning of college classrooms, offices, labs, corridors, and related spaces.
Typical schedule will be Monday - Friday, 25 hours per week. There are 2 vacancies for this position, one will be working from 2:00 PM - 7:00 PM and the other will be working from 5:30 PM - 10:30 PM. While these hours are typical, they may be subject to change as workload and needs of our customers and work areas change.
Duties & Responsibilities
1. Provide care and cleaning to tiled, carpet and concrete floors.
2. Scrub and sanitize bathroom sinks, toilets, fixtures, floors and walls
3. Operate vacuum cleaners, carpet shampooers, scrubbing machines, buffing machines
4. Clean and wash walls, windows and ceilings
5. Replenish restroom supplies, papers, soaps, etc.
6. Perform collection and proper disposal of trash, recyclable materials, etc.
7. Removal, stripping and refinishing of floor finishes and applying of new floor finishes
8. Change light bulbs.
9. Efficiently and safely operate and use cleaning equipment and chemicals.
10. Regularly service and clean machines used in care of building.
11. Set up and move furniture and equipment for special events.
12. Safely climb step ladders to perform custodial duties.
13. Comply with safety requirements and report any unsafe conditions or unsafe equipment to supervisor.
14. Perform building and security functions (i.e. locking and unlocking doors, building lighting, room checks. etc.).
15. Comply and assist management in emergencies.
16. Provide prompt, correct responses to stakeholders and customers.
1. On-the-job training of part-time/work study/workers/program workers/new hires.
2. In threatening weather assist in directing customers to secure locations.
3. Substitute for absent employees.
4. Operate fork lift (Powered industrial truck training).
5. Drive College vehicles locally for equipment and supply pick up.
The listing is not inclusive of all duties and responsibilities, which may be assigned but are only listed as typical. Any other duties and responsibilities assigned will be of similar nature requiring the same relative skills and capabilities.
Past experience in work-related custodial cleaning services or successful completion of a certified custodial services program is desired.
Knowledge of building cleaning and sanitizing methods and procedures is desired.
Ability to read work instructions and schedules, warning signs and product labels and instructions for equipment of operation.
Must be familiar with proper labeling, handling, and disposal of hazardous wastes and/or cleaning supplies.
Applicant must be willing to participate in college-related in-service functions, professional development opportunities and vendor-sponsored training seminars.
Must be able to perform the following functions: wear safety garments, masks, gloves and goggles; work with cleaning chemicals and supplies; operate vacuum cleaners, shampooers and similar floor care equipment; operate commercial mowing equipment, climb ladders, scaffolds, steep stairs; stand, bend, stoop and crouch for long uninterrupted periods of time; lift objects up to 75 pounds on a regular and recurring basis.
Must have the ability to effectively work and communicate with district faculty, students, and management, as well as the many publics that use the district's facilities.
Must have a valid driver's license license and be able to meet NTC's insurer's requirements.
6 to 8 hours: None
4 to 5 hours: Grasping, performing repetitive movements, standing, twisting, walking and working indoors
1 to 3 hours: Bending, pulling, pushing, reaching
Less than 1 hour: Balancing, climbing, crawling, kneeling, sitting, working at heights, working in temperature extremes and working outdoors
Lifting and Carrying:
Less than 10 pounds: 15 or more repetition (s) per hour
10 to 20 pounds: 15 or more repetition(s) per hour
20- 50 pounds: 15 or more repetition(s) per hour
50-100 pounds: 1-10 repetition(s) per hour
More than 100 pounds with help: Less than 1 repetition per hour
Additional Physical Requirements:
Vision: Adequate with aid to read instructions, labels, documents, computer screens, and differentiate between colors.
Hearing: Adequate with aid to understand oral requests, telephone conversation, and PA systems.
Personal Protective Equipment Provided:
Gloves to protect from cleaning chemicals and body fluids
Eye protection when using cleaning chemicals
Protective footwear when working with floor stripping chemicals
Required Employee Program Safety Training:
Bloodborne pathogen, emergency eye wash, emergency procedures, ergonomics (office/workplace), fire extinguishers, hazard communication, hazardous waste, medical waste, personal protective equipment, powered industrial trucks and slips, trips and falls.
Frequent and constant contact with chemicals. Contact with dust.