Financial Aid CoordinatorPosition Number:
00003286Working Position Title:
Financial Aid Coordinator (2 Positions) (EXTENDED)Posting Type:
Financial Aid&Scholarship OffcPrimary Function:
Reporting to an Associate Director of Financial Aid and Scholarships (FASO), a Financial Aid Coordinator (FA Coordinator) provides a high level of customer service to students and institutional partners. FA Coordinators must have or gain a high level of understanding of extensive state and federal regulations and be able to apply and communicate those regulations effectively. Additionally, FA Coordinators need to be or become proficient in the NIU student system and be able to use a number of state and federal systems including Common Origination and Disbursement (COD), National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS), Federal Student Aid (FSA), Illinois Student Assistance Commission’s (ISAC) data systems such as Illinois GAP Access. FA Coordinators will have a primary responsibility for responding to inquiries and appeals regarding financial assistance and informing and advising students and campus partners about financial aid eligibility, application procedures, costs and financial policies and individualize information to the particular needs and situation of the student. Financial Aid Coordinators will make evaluations of financial need and eligibility using a variety of sources including state and federal law and regulations and institutional guidelines. They will perform the prescribed federal verification and professional judgment reviews, documentation and determinations. Additionally, the person will also serve as a liaison with the Admissions Office, Records and Registration, the Bursar’s Office and other campus, federal and state entities.Duties and Responsibilities (generally):
The incumbent in this position must develop a high degree of knowledge and expertise regarding a broad array of financial aid and scholarship programs. This person provides a vital front-line linkage between the FASO and its clients and must have the interpersonal skills and mature judgment to be a positive force in the delivery of customer service. The incumbent must possess the ability to work in a sometimes hectic and stressful environment in a calm and professional manner.Minimum Required Qualifications for this position:
1. Any one or combination totaling three (3) years (36 months) from the following categories:
A. college course work in any field
• Associate Degree (60 semester hours) equals one (1) year (12 months)
• 90-semester hours equals two (2) years (24 months)
• Bachelor’s Degree or higher (120 semester hours) equals three (3) years (36 months)
B. work experience coordinating office, business, or customer service/relations activities.
2. One (1) year (12 months) of higher-education, student services, or closely related experience.Education and Experience Preferred:
Fluency in Spanish (written and verbal) preferred.
Previous experience in a Financial Aid Office preferred.List the knowledge, skills, and abilities critical to the performance of this position.:
1. Knowledge of customer service (the principles and processes for providing customer and personal services; customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for service, and evaluation of customer satisfaction).Working Hours:
2. Extensive knowledge of financial-aid programs and of university academic requirements and parameters.
3. A working knowledge of office technology (word, excel, and necessary databases).
4. Knowledge of the student application process.
5. Knowledge of Federal and State regulations pertaining to all financial aid programs and of the resources available to research complex issues.
6. Strong written and oral communication skills.
7. Mathematics and calculation skills.
8. General accounting skills.
9. Judgment and decision making skills – they can consider the costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
10. Ability to handle difficult and stressful situations.
11. Supervisory ability.
12. Ability to interpret complex regulations from within and outside of the University.
13. Ability to handle a large volume and a variety of details accurately and set priorities.
14. Ability to adapt in an ever-changing environment.
As a staff member within Financial Aid and Scholarships, you are responsible for knowledge of and compliance with the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) regulations, both those general in nature and those which apply directly to your position’s responsibilities. Strict adherence to all applicable governing policies, procedures and regulations of the NCAA is required and is a condition of employment.
M-F 8-4:30Minimum Pay Rate (Hourly or Monthly):
$15.16/hourHiring Rate Information:
Actual hiring rate is commensurate with experience, education, and internal equity; position includes a robust benefits package to eligible applicants.Posting Date:
06/24/2021Special Instructions to Applicants:
Link to Department Homepage:
- Fully complete the Education and Work History sections of the application. Be specific on your entire work history, including employment dates and duties for all positions held. Applicable part-time work experience will be considered toward qualifying for this position, however, it will be converted to a full-time equivalency to determine combined length of experience.
- If you have education and/or training in excess of what is required, we encourage you to upload your unofficial transcripts.
- After the posting has closed, your submission will be reviewed to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the classification, including any specialty factors associated with this particular position.
- Please monitor your e-mail for further information regarding your application. Emails will be generated from [email protected] and [email protected]. Please add these emails to your address book to ensure timely delivery of any future communication.
- We STRONGLY recommend that contact information used in your online profile be personal use, not professional/work information: personal email address, home address, and phone numbers. The information you provide is used to make contact on search updates, department referrals and interviews, etc. We must be able to relay sensitive and important information in a way that protects your privacy concerning job search activity, now and in the future.
- The Civil Service examination for this classification is a Credentials Assessment, and is based on your application materials as submitted for this posting. If you meet the minimum required qualifications for this position, you will receive a score based on your education and experience, and your name will be placed on the active employment register. After the application deadline, the names within the top three scores will be referred to the hiring department for interview.
- If eligible for Veteran’s Preference Points, DD214/DD215/NGB22/DD256 paperwork reflecting an Honorable Discharge MUST be uploaded to this application in order to receive the maximum eligible points on the Civil Service examination.
- Click on Financial Aid Coordinator for more information including salary ranges, typical duties, minimum acceptable qualifications, and testing requirements.
- Please click Human Resource Services – Benefits for detailed information about Northern Illinois University’s benefits package.
- Employment is contingent upon your passing a criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
Financial AidPhysical Demands:
This person must have excellent mobility of hands, wrist and fingers. Specific vision abilities required in this position include close and distance vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to focus.EEO Statement:
In accordance with applicable statutes and regulations, NIU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political affiliation, or any other factor unrelated to professional qualifications, and will comply with all applicable federal and state statutes, regulations and orders pertaining to nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action.
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Ethics and Compliance Officer, Title IX CoordinatorIs Background Check Required:
Health Services 230
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.ADA Accommodation:
NIU remains committed to ensuring that its recruitment and application procedures include full opportunities for applicants with disabilities. Employment opportunities will not be denied to anyone because of the need to make accommodations for a person’s disability during either the application or interview process. An applicant who believes they require an accommodation to participate in the employment process due to a disability may request that accommodation through the Accommodation Request Form. For further assistance, please contact the office of Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity and Education (AAEOE) at [email protected].Clery Act Information:
NIU provides information regarding campus security, personal and fire safety, including topics such as: crime prevention, emergency response procedures and crime reporting policies, in addition to crime and fire statistics for the most recent three calendar years. The Annual Security Report containing security and safety information is available at www.safety.niu.edu/clery or by contacting the University Police Department and Public Safety Department at 815-753-9628 to receive a hard copy. The Annual Fire Safety Report is available at www.niu.edu/clery/fire_report.pdf or by contacting the Environmental Health and Safety Department at 815-753-0404 to receive a hard copy.Quick Link: