Financial Aid Processor - Essential
Locations:: Oakland, CA
Posted:: Jun 10, 2021
Closes:: Open Until Filled
Type:: Full-time Non-Exempt
Position ID:: 132100
About Mills College:
Located in Oakland, California, in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, Mills College is a liberal arts college for women and gender non-binary students, with graduate programs for all genders. Consistently ranked one of the top master's universities and one of the best value colleges in the West by U.S. News & World Report, Mills also has been named one of the Best Colleges in the nation by The Princeton Review. The Mills experience is distinguished by small, interactive classes, one-on-one attention from exceptional faculty, a culture of creative experimentation, and cutting-edge interdisciplinary learning opportunities which empower students to make a statement in their careers and communities. As one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, we have a strong record of academic success with first-generation students, students of color, Latinx students, LGBTQ students, and other underrepresented students. Mills College has recently become a Hispanic Serving Institution. Applicants with expertise and experience in supporting and promoting success for Latina/o students are encouraged to apply.
Mills College encourages diversity in hiring and particularly welcomes applications and nominations from women, gender non-binary individuals, and minorities. Mills College seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to equity, inclusion, and social justice and our desire to maintain the excellence of our faculty. In so doing, we offer our students not only the opportunity to learn about varied disciplines but to engage with diverse perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. For more information, please visit www.mills.edu.
Reports To: Associate Director of Financial Aid
Directly Supervises: None
Interacts with: Financial Aid Office staff, Student Accounts, Student Records, external financial aid entities.
The Financial Aid Processor has the primary responsibility of reviewing financial aid packaging and processing Title IV funding while ensuring that all files reviewed are within US Dept. of Education regulatory compliance. The Financial Aid Processor is responsible for electronically processing a high volume of Title IV awards, including loan and grants in addition to reviewing and processing scholarships, and having knowledge of California grant funding. Key roles also include communicating with and supporting the campus Financial Aid Office staff with policy and procedures and providing guidance in these areas and acting as the quality control coordinator for the office.
The Financial Aid Processor has a key role in electronically processing a high volume of financial aid packages daily and providing client services regarding compliance and regulatory concerns of the campus staff.
Key Job Elements
- Process Federal Pell Grant payments electronically, while resolving application errors.
- Process Federal Direct Loans electronically, while resolving application errors.
- Process FAFSAs, ISIRs and ISIR corrections electronically, while resolving application error in both Banner and CampusLogic.
- Assist with managing and reconciling Cal Grant rosters, awards, and student eligibility.
- Utilize COD and NSLDS to review and assess prior student aid history.
- Assist the Associate Director with monthly reconciliation of all federal, state, and institutional funds.
- Coordinate the private student loan process, including certifications, disbursements, and returning funds.
- Assist the Financial Aid Office staff with student or staff inquiries.
- Act as a quality control coordinator to ensure files being processed in Banner are accurately being sent to COD, CPS, etc. and with locating errors and providing corrections.
- Work closely with the Director of Financial Aid and Associate Director to ensure compliance of Title IV regulations.
- Uses reports from Admissions and Student Records/Registrar to cancel financial aid for students who are not attending Mills College.
- Special projects as assigned and needed, as skill level and environment warrants.
- Must work well in teams as well as independently.
- Experience in a College/University Financial Aid Office is preferred.
- Knowledge of Ellucian Banner or a similar student information system (SIS) is helpful, although demonstrated ability to learn new software may substitute.
- Comfort in computing environment; high level of proficiency in word processing and spreadsheet software.
- Preferred: proficiency in all Microsoft Office Applications, Ellucian Banner, and US Department of Education software.
- Complete work in a timely fashion in accordance with federal regulations.
- Learn new software packages quickly and with minimal support.
- Listen to all community clients, understand and respond to requests.
- Work without close supervision and to set one's own priorities.
- Sit for extended periods of time.
- Individuals applying must have high levels of integrity, be able to maintain confidentiality, should be detail oriented and analytical to be considered ideal candidates for this position.
This is a full-time, non-exempt position with an FTE of 1.0. Hourly rate is $23.00 per hour, and includes an excellent benefits package including medical/dental/vision/life/LTD insurance, 403(b) retirement plan, 10 days of vacation for year one, 15 days of vacation for years 2-10, and 22 days of vacation years 10+ plus, 12 sick days and 17 paid holidays (subject to annual review).
Mills College does not permit discrimination based on pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religious creed, color, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity. For more information on Mills' non-discrimination policy, please go to https://www.mills.edu/policies/ada-policies/nondiscrimination-statement.php.
All positions are subject to a background check. Prior to the first date of employment, an applicant's background check must be cleared.
Click the "Apply Now" button below and follow instructions to submit the following documents:
- Employee Application
- Cover Letter and
- Contact Information for 3 References
- 3 Reference Letters
Please note that you can only upload 6 "Other" documents. You can consolidate multiple pages/documents into one file upload. The file size limit for each upload is 10Mb.
Review of applicants will begin immediately; applications will be accepted until the position is filled.