Updated: Jun 10, 2021
Location: UC Irvine Campus
Department: OIT Central Srvcs Operations
Job Opening ID:
Data Systems Supervisor IIWorking Title:
BI/DW Platform Administrator (Tableau, Informatica, Cognos)Department:
OIT Central Services OperationsBargaining Unit:
ExemptPayroll Job Code:
UCI Campus- IrvinePercent of Time:
M-F, 8-5Employee Class:
Career Position Summary:
The Office of Information Technology (OIT) is responsible for supporting the IT needs of UC Irvine faculty, students, and staff. Our mission is to provide information technology leadership, services, and innovative solutions to promote the research, education, and community service goals of the University. The OIT Business Intelligence and Data Warehouse team is responsible for the design, development, deployment, documentation, ongoing maintenance, and support of the enterprise data warehouse (EDW) and decision support for the campus. The EDW is the centerpiece of the campus reporting and analytics strategy, facilitating decision making at all levels. Under the supervision of the Decision Support and Institutional Research IT, the BI/DW Platform Administrator (Tableau, Informatica, Cognos) provides Business Intelligence (BI) and Extract/Transform/Load (ETL) support to facilitate the campus Business Intelligence/Data Warehouse effort. This system is the centerpiece of the campus reporting and analytics strategy, facilitating decision making at all levels. The incumbent works in close collaboration with other members of the Bl/DWH team, other teams within OIT, and functional and project offices throughout the campus. The incumbent serves as an platform administrator of the Business Intelligence / Data Warehouse infrastructure, including but not limited to BI/reporting tools, ETL tools, and data virtualization services. Duties include planning, installation, configuration, securing, upgrading, maintaining, monitoring, troubleshooting, and documenting the platforms and technologies. The incumbent works closely with other OIT teams administering related technologies, including but not limited to the Windows Services Group, DBA Team, Middleware Team, and Security Team. The incumbent has detailed knowledge about the supported BI products, stays current with product roadmaps and new features, assess how new features can be adopted and best utilized within OIT, adopts new features to the BI infrastructure, and conducts outreach, communications and training related to the product. Other duties include responding to service requests and trouble tickets; managing the workflow of requests to the BI/DWH team, including dispatching work and following up; developing BI content as needed, including reports, dashboards, frameworks and cubes; and serving in a support and consultation role to constituents in OIT and throughout the campus who are developing BI content. Compensation Range:
Commensurate with experience Department Website: http://www.oit.uci.edu Required:
- Minimum of three (3) years administering a large BI product platform such as IBM Cognos; and/or a large ETL installation such as Informatica Power Center; and/or a large Data Virtualization environment such as Tibco.
- Three (3) to five (5) years with BA/BS OR one (1) to three (3) years with MA/MS or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- In-depth experience with SQL programming and relational database management systems including Microsoft SQL Server and Oracle.
- Familiarity with the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) and ability to work within a team of developers on a coordinated, integrated development effort.
- Ability to document procedures, processes, guidelines, data formats, data dictionaries and developed systems for technical and non-technical users.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, set priorities, schedule, and meet deadlines.
- Strong problem-solving skills. Able to learn effectively and meet deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to successfully collaborate with a broad range of personnel with varying levels of technical knowledge.
- Ability to work with others from diverse backgrounds.
- Self-motivated and able to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent analytical, organizational, critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written, oral, presentation, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Experience with providing information technology solutions to end-users.
- Strong analytical and design skills, including the ability to abstract information requirements from real-world processes to understand information flows in computer systems.
- Familiarity with confidential, sensitive, and restricted data.
- Familiarity with project and task tracking and reporting.
- Familiarity with data quality and governance issues and requirements.
- Knowledge of data management systems, practices, and standards.
- Experience in a higher education environment, especially working with student, employee, and financial data. Knowledge of FERPA, HIPAA and SB1386 Security laws and other legislation governing security of IT activity.
- Knowledge of and experience with standard data warehousing techniques, data modeling, star and snowflake schema design and implementation, and design patterns.
- Minimum three (3) years administering a large IBM Cognos product platform.
- Minimum one (1) year administering a large Tableau Server product platform. Minimum three (3) years administering an Informatica Power Center product platform.
- Experience working on agile development projects.
- Experience using Unix/Linux and Windows servers in a production environment, including scripting and shell programming.
Final candidate subject to background check. As a federal contractor, UC Irvine is required to use E-Verify to confirm the work status of individuals assigned to perform substantial work under certain federal contracts/subcontracts. The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy
. UCI provides reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities upon request. For more information, please contact Human Resources at (949) 824-0500.