Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion Communication Coordinator
PR & Mktg Spec IIIRole Code:
Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion Communication CoordinatorPosition Number:
Northern VA Community CollegeDivision:
Fairfax County - 059Hiring Range:
$55,000 - $65,000Emergency/Essential Personnel:
E-ParaprofessionalsFull Time or Part Time:
Full TimeWork Schedule:
Monday – Friday
8:30 AM- 5:00 PMSensitive Position:
The security of our students, faculty, and staff is very important at NOVA. Please take a moment to review NOVA’s Annual Security Reports
The Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion Communication Coordinator will create and execute communication strategies that articulate NOVA’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and help to promote DEI events and educational initiatives to internal and external audiences through social media, web site content, video content, resources for faculty and staff and communications materials, such as press releases, e-newsletters, presentations, marketing graphics, and other tools.
Duties and Tasks
- Within the Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion develop, implement, and evaluate the annual DEI communications plan across the college’s various audiences in collaboration with key stakeholders and campus constituents.
- Writes, reviews, and edits DEI content to ensure it is engaging, clear, and able to ensure consistency and alignment with state, local and federal requirements, and best practices for marketing the college brand.
- Manages the development, distribution, and maintenance of all creative communication output coming from the Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion including, but not limited to, promotional videos or clips, a DEI e-newsletter, internal reports, DEI press releases, webpage content for the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and other creative social media posts and presentations.
- Works to create and execute a communication and marketing plan to rollout new initiatives and programs that concern DEI efforts.
- Coordinates campus efforts to produce a useful Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Monthly Events Calendar
- Offers strategic guidance and counsel to the Chief Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Officer regarding DEI communication practices.
- Serves as a copy-editor and proofreader for DEI documents, reports, presentations and other communication material related to DEI events managed by the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.
- Partners in collaborative manner with the Office of Strategic Partnerships and Workforce Innovation to co-design a DEI social media plan, generate press releases about DEI events and develop PR and/or marketing materials that elevate the college’s commitment to Inclusive Excellence.Special Assignments:
May be required to perform other duties as assigned. May be required to assist the agency or state government generally in the event of an emergency declaration by the Governor.KSA's/Required Qualifications:
•Knowledge of available marketing channels, such as print and web publications, video, email, and social media.
•Excellent customer service and interpersonal communication skills; excellent written and oral communication skills.
•Ability to execute a wide range of communication functions and have significant experience in editing, proofreading, graphic design and multimedia skills.
•Ability to monitor and coordinate several projects simultaneously under strict deadlines
•Ability to research, analyze, and consolidate complex content into cohesive, clear, straightforward messaging.
•Demonstrated artistic and design abilities used in the creation of a wide variety of content.
•Bachelor’s degree or graduate degree in Journalism, Communication, Public Relations, English, Marketing, Media, relevant field, or combination of equivalent applicable experience or training or education.
•Previous experience generating content via various platforms including editing documents, presentations, utilizing infographics and building an effective communications marketing plan
•Previous experience working directly with people from diverse racial, ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds
• Master’s degree in Marketing, Business Management, Public Relations, Communication, or related field.
• Previous experience in higher education, K-12 education, or related work experience.
• Experience with diversity, equity and inclusion programs.
• Significant experience in college leadership preferred.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively design and implement marketing and/or communications strategies and deliverables for a major department or unit of higher education or a non-profit setting is strongly preferred.
PublicNumber of Vacancies:
2Job Open Date:
06/03/2021Job Close Date:
06/27/2021Open Until Filled:
nvcc.eduBackground Check Statement Disclaimer:
The selected candidate’s offer is contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal background investigation, which may include: fingerprint checks, local agency checks, employment verification, verification of education, credit checks (relevant to employment). Additionally, selected candidates may be required to complete the Commonwealth’s Statement of Economic Interest. For more information, please follow this link: http://ethics.dls.virginia.gov/EEO Statement:
The Virginia Community College System, an EEO employer, welcomes applications from people of all backgrounds and recognizes the benefits of a diverse workforce. Therefore, the VCCS is committed to providing a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. Employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications. We prohibit discrimination and harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, mental or physical disabilities, political affiliation, veteran status, gender identity, or other non-merit factors.ADA Statement:
The VCCS is an EOE and Affirmative Action Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Acts (ADA and ADAAA), VCCS will provide, if requested, reasonable accommodation to applicants in need of access to the application, interviewing and selection processes.E-Verify Statement:
VCCS uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 form and provide documentation of your identity for employment purposes.Quicklink for Posting: