Part-Time, Hourly RCPD Career Development Coordinator
Job no: 495344
Work type: Temporary Part-Time
Location: Glassboro, New Jersey
Categories: Administrative - Clerical
Location: The Center for Professional Development, Rohrer College of Business at Rowan University, Glassboro, NJ
Within the Rohrer College of Business (RCB) there is a Center for Professional Development focused on helping business students to become “career ready”. Students will graduate with the necessary skills to navigate the job search process, exhibit professionalism and begin a career in their chosen field through: course embedded career development their first year through senior year, career readiness education, daily drop-in hours for career-related questions, career coaching, mock interviews and a multitude of opportunities for employer engagement on and off-campus. The Center seeks to engage students early and often resulting in individuals that graduate with the poise and professionalism to stand out in a crowded career market.
Summary, Duties & Responsibilities:
The Rohrer College of Business has eight undergraduate business majors and two graduate programs comprised of nearly 2,500 students. The Rohrer Center for Professional Development (RCPD), located within the College of Business is seeking an individual to assist with both career coaching and facilitation of professional development activities and events for the students. The Career Development Coordinator will be responsible for administering and supporting career programs and services, building relationships with constituents, managing and growing the College of Business Internship Program, and implementing student programming initiatives.
The primary duty of this role is to provide career coaching through 15-minute walk-in sessions and scheduled appointments to our undergraduate population and graduate population, as needed. Discussion topics range from major/career exploration, to job/internship search, to interviewing and networking skills, mock interviews as well as career development and event prep. The ideal candidate will have a background in career counseling or transferrable skills and will ideally have a familiarity with business careers and the market in the Philadelphia tri-state region.
This role will also assist in facilitating weekly career workshops held virtually and in person to prepare students for upcoming career events and the job/internship process from beginning to end. The Career Development Coordinator will be charged with revitalization of existing career workshop and student materials (i.e. resumes/cover letter samples, guides and handouts for career tools) to incorporate new ideas and tailor to specific industries, class years and majors. It will be critical that the candidate selected for this role stay up to date on college hiring needs and campus recruitment trends and tools available for students. A partnership between the Career Development Coordinator and the Employer Relations Associate will be important so that they can ensure professional development and career events are in sync with business trends and employer needs. The Coordinator will also partner with departments within the Rohrer College of business as well as other colleges and departments to ensure that the career development being offered by the RCPD is consistent with other groups and in line with department and college goals.
- The position reports to the College of Business with a clear oversight by the Manager, Center for Professional Development (RCPD). This role will have to follow the framework, policies, practices and guidelines that RCB and RCPD sets-out in coordination with the main Office of Career Advancement.
- Develop and coordinate career related educational programs for business students, classes, student organizations, groups of prospective students, alumni and others as appropriate.
- Provide individualized career coaching to students as well as resume/cover letter preparation, networking/interview skills, and the job-search process.
- Recommend and implement approved best practices for delivering industry specific career services to students and alumni
- Maintain membership within industry specific professional organizations as well as career development organizations such as NCDA, NACE, NJCDA and/or EACE.
- Perform other activities as necessary and work with Manager, RCPD to develop new programs and initiatives.
Applicants must possess a genuine interest in helping students to become career ready and have ability and skills to conduct career coaching appointments with students at various levels. They must also have the ability to build relationships across different groups and demographic profiles at Rowan and beyond. This role will have direct exposure to Rohrer College of Business faculty, business school administration and leaders at Rowan. This position will work closely with the Office of Career Advancement and other colleges at Rowan University, as appropriate. This position will require some nights when there are key events.
- Education: Bachelor's degree, Master’s degree preferred
- Experience / Knowledge: Three (3) years of related professional experience in Career Development, Advising, Employment Services, Human Resources/Training, or a related function with transferable skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Strong time management and organizational ability
- Creative, out-of-the-box thinker with solutions-oriented mindset
- Analytical, decision making, and critical thinking skills are important
- Knowledge of social media platforms and email marketing tools like Constant Contact
- Ability to navigate virtual meeting software and lead programs virtually (i.e. Zoom, WebEx, Teams, Google Meet etc.)
- Knowledge of career services software (i.e. Symplicity, Handshake, Experience or CSO) or Human Resources applicant tracking systems (ATS)
- Knowledge of higher education systems CampusLabs, Banner and Tableau are a plus
- Knowledge of and ability to interpret and integrate career assessment instruments such as Focus2, StrengthsFinder, MBTI, etc. into career coaching sessions
Advertised: Jun 9 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Jun 23 2021 11:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time