Fine Arts Center Marketing & Communications Director
Job no: 508805
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: Fine Arts Center
Categories: Public Relations, Marketing, Communications, Professional Staff Union (PSU)
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate, and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
About the UMass Fine Arts Center
Since its founding in 1975, the UMass Fine Arts Center has been a central force in the cultural, social, and academic life of the University, the Five College campuses, and the Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts. The Fine Arts Center's combination of educational, visual, and performing arts programs not only makes us unique, but it also secures a very vital and necessary position for us to meet the diverse needs of scholars, faculty, students, alumni, and the broader community.
The Director of Marketing and Communications is the Fine Arts Center’s chief brand officer, a senior leadership team member and is responsible for budgeting, planning, and implementing center-wide brand, marketing and communications strategies that drive season subscriptions, single tickets, awareness, and attendance for all FAC programs, exhibitions, and education programs. The Director develops marketing and communications strategies by directing collection, analysis, and interpretation of market data; determining and evaluating current and future market trends; developing marketing and audience development plans for the Fine Arts Center’s programs and special events; generates news releases and public service announcements; coordinates artists and staff interviews with local media; directing promotional support including public and media relations and advertising campaigns; increasing public awareness of the Fine Arts Center and its activities; sustaining and expanding Fine Arts Center stakeholders including academic community, targeted communities, businesses and corporations, and new audiences as determined by research activities.
- Develops integrated campaigns that meet measurable sales and strategy goals by researching, analyzing, collecting, and interpreting market data to determine and evaluate current and future market trends; working closely with FAC Curators, the Deputy Director, and the Development Director to ensure alignment of program, finance, fundraising and marketing goals.
- Effectively manages the department budget and adheres to University policies and procedures.
- Directs media and advertising strategy and maintains positive relationships with local vendors.
- Directs promotional support by guiding marketing staff in the production and editorial content of Fine Arts Center playbill, online newsletter, Center-wide brochure, Center Series and FAC shared web site pages and other marketing materials; monitoring ticket sales and providing added marketing efforts as needed; overseeing the design, production and printing of Fine Art Center publications such as season brochures and communication pieces; supervising the writing and editing of press releases and feature articles as needed; acting as spokesperson for the Fine Arts Center interacting with community and civic groups to promote the Center and its programs.
- Sustains and expands Fine Arts Center stakeholders by working closely with FAC Directors to develop and maintain pan-campus collaborations; determining target audiences for Fine Arts Center programs and events and implementing campaigns, collateral materials, and other strategies to achieve attendance sales goals; creating and implementing audience development strategies including presentations and institutional sales; researching and identifying corporate sponsors, points of entry, and partner process; soliciting and maintaining entry and mid-level corporate sponsor and all media sponsorships including tracking, contacts, cultivation, deadlines, and funding cycles; conceiving and implementing new sponsorship levels and benefits; fulfilling corporate sponsors sponsorship and support agreements; initiating sponsorship renewal, stewardship and delivery of benefits.
- Advances the strategic goals of the Fine Arts Center by performing other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor’s degree
- Five years prior experience working in a marketing position managing successful integrated marketing campaigns at an arts organization, university or within a related field
- Strong organizational and writing skills
- Flexibility with time essential, ability to work nights and weekends
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Typical office environment activity.
PSU Level 28
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please complete online application, including a cover letter, resume, and contact information of three professional references by July 9, 2021 to ensure consideration. The position may remain open until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Jun 9 2021 Eastern Daylight Time