Hudson County Community College
Position Vacancy Notice
Career and Technical Education Career Coach
Posting date: 06/10/2021
Hudson County Community College (HCCC) is an award-winning, comprehensive urban college serving one of the most historic and ethnically diverse areas of the United States. HCCC students were born in 119 countries and speak 29 different languages. The diversity and the multitude of our community’s cultures, life experiences, skills and aspirations, are the very values and traits that empower us to be productive and caring members of our society.
HCCC embodies an unwavering commitment to student success and an intentional focus on diversity, equity, and inclusion. In 2019, the President’s Advisory Council on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (PACDEI) was instituted to develop new levels of understanding and access and advance the College’s commitment to transparency and inclusion. We are proud of the differences we share, which are the foundation for the life changing and transformational education we offer and the social mobility we provide to the communities we serve.
HCCC has three campuses located just minutes from Manhattan: the Journal Square campus in Jersey City and North Hudson Campus in Union City are adjacent to vital transportation hubs; the Secaucus campus has abundant parking. Fully accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, the College offers courses and classes in a wide variety of disciplines to the people and businesses of Hudson County, one of the most ethnically diverse areas of the United States. The College was recognized with the 2012 Association of Community College Trustees (ACCT) Northeast Regional Equity Award, was one of just five finalists in the U.S. for the American Association of Community Colleges’ (AACC) Student Success Award, and was presented with the New Jersey Business & Industry Association’s Good Neighbor Awards in 2009 for the Culinary Conference Center, in 2012 for the North Hudson Campus, and in 2015 for the award-winning Gabert Library. In 2016 the Gabert Library was one of three academic libraries in the United States to receive the Excellence in Academic Libraries Award from the Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL), and in 2019 the Tutoring Center received the Frank L. Christ Outstanding Learning Center Award for Two-Year Institutions. In 2019, the College joined Achieving the Dream as part of its expanding effort toward continuous improvement in student success.
HCCC has partnerships with every major four-year college and university in the greater New Jersey-New York area and beyond, accommodating seamless transfer of credits for further undergraduate and graduate education. Hudson County Community College is proud of its culture of care and invites applications from those wishing to join a community dedicated to promoting student success in all its forms.
Position Summary/Job Description
The Career and Technical Education Career Coach will guide current students with CTE majors on their career paths. Career Services believes everyone deserves purposeful work in which one feels productive and prospers. Our mission is to inspire and build relationships that create and illuminate opportunities for HCCC students that advance social equity, environmental stewardship and economic success.
- Counsel and coach students with CTE majors on career exploration, career readiness and career management needs via individual sessions, classroom visits/workshops and virtual services, both remotely and in person.
- Assess students to uncover and explore their strengths, challenges, interests, skills and values.
- Provide academic advising to align educational choices with career planning.
- Counsel and coach students with goal planning strategies.
- Provide short term counseling and intervention for students and alumni with immediate financial and job placement needs.
- Identify and develop business relationships for events, recruitment opportunities and job placement.
- Research careers and local opportunities in depth to support creation of career mapping for students, faculty and academic departments.
- Partner with academic divisions to identify career paths that support students’ majors and interests and create opportunities such as custom events, jobs, internships and volunteer roles.
- Design content and market Career Services via social media, bulletins, classroom presentations, electronic communication and other forms of advertising.
- Provide support and oversite of interns, clubs, work study students and/or volunteers contributing to the department.
- Design, manage projects and support Career Services initiatives, curricula and events.
- Document all services and create reports to inform departmental strategy and goals.
- Participate in college committees and events, including external networking opportunities, to increase student engagement and partnerships.
- Other responsibilities as assigned to increase student success and college retention.
- Flexibility to work some nights/weekends and on multiple campus sites for classroom activities and events.
- Bachelor’s degree in any industry/field.
- 5 years of experience in any industry/field. Career Services is more successful and dynamic when teams come to the table with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We are looking for people with industry knowledge to align with relevant majors and career goals of students.
- Will consider combination of experience with a Master’s degree.
- Bi-lingual preferred: Spanish/Arabic languages are a priority for the college.
- Technology skills: In order to reach 100% of the student body, the department relies on technology to scale its efforts. We need individuals skilled in database management, spreadsheets, video conferencing, email management, word processing, and electronic presentations.
- Active listening skills: HCCC supports a diverse and traditionally underserved student body. It is important to balance a supportive ear with the ability to identify needs so students realize their goals.
- Engagement skills: Including sales/customer service skills. A major challenge in any community college is recruitment and retention of students. Career Services supports HCCC’s overall vision to be a “first-choice option” for our community. To do so, we need to attract students and hold their attention through individual sessions and public presentations.
- Flexibility: Career Services strives to be agile and flexible to the evolving needs of students and changes in the labor market.
- Strategic thinking: Career Services is a culture of continuous improvement. Thoughtful attention to program challenges, contribution of ideas and participation in goal planning is significant to growth and achievement.
Closing Date of Applications
Review of applications to begin
How to apply:
Please email your resume and cover letter* to
Victoria Marino, Director of Career Services
*In your cover letter, please answer the following questions:
•What is a favorite experience you’ve had in which you positively influenced someone’s life?
•What is important to you to learn or experience in a Career Coach role?
As a New Jersey First Act Employer, new employees must establish a primary residence in New Jersey within one year unless an exemption applies.
HCCC is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We are committed to ensuring a diverse and inclusive learning and working environment. Decisions on employment are made on the basis of the qualifications of an individual for the particular position being filled. Women, veterans and minorities are encouraged to apply.