Associate Director for Global and Immersive Learning
Beloit College is developing a new office to advance the college’s Global and Immersive Learning. Building on a long tradition of immersive, experiential and international education, this office is responsible for off-campus study, intensive summer programs, and pre-college and continuing education academic programs, in addition to co-administering the Weissberg Program in Human Rights and Social Justice.
This office will focus on a number of strategic priorities, including:
- Expanding equity, inclusion and anti-racism in global and immersive learning experiences, in line with Beloit College’s Becoming Better action planContinuing to innovate in international, off-campus and global learning to advance the college’s learning outcomes, strategic plan, and Career Channels programGrowing and expanding existing summer learning opportunities on campus and onlineIncubating, launching and supporting academic opportunities that expand the college’s reach beyond the undergraduate experience
The Associate Director will be the office’s main contact for off-campus study and will be involved in all aspects of study abroad, domestic off-campus study, and short-term faculty-led programs. The Associate Director will work with a team that includes the Senior Director for the office, the Assistant Director, the Office Coordinator, and student peer mentors, as well as with faculty and staff outside of the office.
Beloit College envisions that this position will allow for personal and professional growth in accordance with the experience and interests of the candidate, as well as with the evolution of this newly-formed office. Opportunities for professional development, mentorship, campus-wide engagement, and expansion of duties will be provided to support this growth.
Semester-Long Off-campus Study
- Creates and implements initiatives to increase access and equity in study abroadHelps develop and maintain a menu of study abroad and domestic off-campus study options appropriate to Beloit College’s goals to its students’ financial resourcesAdvises students on how to connect study abroad opportunities into their academic plans and mentor them through the process of applying and preparing, working with the Assistant Director, Peer Advisors, and Senior DirectorWorks with team on the process for review and approval of study abroad applicationsWorks with Senior Director to develop and manage peer mentorship and advisingSupports the development and coordination of pre-departure activities, including orientations and new approaches to mentorship, in collaboration with Assistant Director and Senior DirectorAdvances existing and develop new opportunities for post-study abroad student reflection, both non-credit and for-credit, including courses, student symposia, and other activitiesWorks with other team members to promote opportunities for off-campus study to student body, prospective students, and campus communityCommunicates with students abroad and supports reflective learning while abroad, including explorative projects for credit-bearing correspondence.Leads the risk management and emergency response team for study abroad, consulting leading sources for risk analysis and health and safety, following best practices in the study abroad fieldAttends regional and national conferences to advance best practices, networks and partnerships for study abroadManages ongoing assessment of learning and student feedback for study abroad programs
- Keeps abreast of health and safety guidelines developed and published by the Forum on Education AbroadServes as first point of contact when emergency incidents occur, including communicating with those affected and relevant stakeholders
Short-Term Off-Campus Study
- Supports the development of of short-term faculty-led off-campus study opportunitiesSupports the planning and logistical coordination of programsLeads risk management for programsSupports the professional development of faculty and staff to lead programsCo-leads programs where needed
- Master’s Degree in International Education or related fieldExperience working on issues of diversity, equity and inclusion in higher educationThree years of experience working in study abroad and global learning desired, preferably with experience working abroad,Awareness of cutting-edge work in global learning and international educationCreativity and flexibility in working with colleagues and with studentsWillingness to travel domestically and internationally
Because equity and inclusion are central to our students’ liberal education and vital to the thriving of all members of our residential learning community, Beloit College aspires to be an actively anti-racist institution. We recognize our aspiration as ongoing and institution-wide, involving collective commitment and accountability. We welcome employees who are committed to and will actively contribute to our efforts to celebrate our cultural and intellectual richness and be resolute in advancing inclusion and equity. We encourage all interested individuals meeting the criteria of the described position to apply.
Located in a diverse community close to Madison, Milwaukee, and Chicago, Beloit is a selective undergraduate liberal arts college that attracts students from across the United States and the world. The college emphasizes excellence in teaching, learning beyond the traditional classroom, international perspectives, and collaborative research among students and faculty. It is recognized as one of the Colleges That Change Lives.Posting Date06/09/2021Closing Dateuntil filledOfficeGlobal and Immersive LearningHow to Apply
Application review will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.