Head Football Athletic Trainer, Department of Athletics
Job location: Winston Salem, NC
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-06-09
- Additional documentation must be added at the bottom of the third screen under the "My Experience."
- Internal candidates must apply via the internal career portal. Do not proceed with your application from this website.
- DO NOT complete the application without the required attachments as you will be unable to edit your application.
- Provides comprehensive evaluation, treatment, and rehabilitation of athletically injured student-athletes, in conjunction with team physicians and appropriate affiliated medical personnel.
- Primary sports responsibilities include practice coverage, game coverage, travel, and emergency medical care preparation.
- Coordinates mental and behavioral health/wellness referrals to student-athletes as indicated.
- Properly document injuries as well as treatments and rehabilitation sessions of injured student-athletes.
- Follow prescribed rehabilitation and treatment protocols of team physicians when providing healthcare for the injured or sick student-athlete.
- Communicate effectively with strength and conditioning coaches regarding the injured student-athletes strength and conditioning parameters and limitations associated with injury rehabilitation.
- Provides daily injury/illness reports to coaches and Senior Associate Athletic Director HCA with current physical conditions of student-athletes.
- Assists in the daily supervision and educational instruction of student assistants and immersive graduate students.
- Maintains liaison between WFUBMC, WFUSHS and WFU Athletic Department concerning office appointments, daily treatments, rehabilitation/exercise programs, medical records, and daily restrictions and modifications for athletes.
- Assists with the maintenance of all OSHA requirements for department.
- Assists with drug testing collections for student-athletes.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s Degree in athletic training or similar field with two years related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Master’s degree preferred. Experience working with intercollegiate athletics preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- NATA BOC certification, licensure (eligible for NC), and CPR certification required.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written. Strong interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of supplies, equipment, and/or services ordering and inventory control.
- Ability to evaluate therapeutic requirements for student-athletes, and to fit and modify therapeutic and/or protective equipment.
- Skill in the use of first aid procedures.
- Knowledge of CPR and emergency medical procedures.
- Ability to design and implement fitness, nutrition, and conditioning programs.
- Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
- Ability to read, understand, follow, and enforce safety procedures.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as required.
- Valid driver license with good driving record; must be insurable.
Direct supervision for full-time assistant athletic trainers with primary responsibility for football as related to performance, clinical skill, rehabilitation, emergency procedures, practices and event coverage. Assists in the daily supervision of the athletic training room.
Assumes leadership of sports medicine department in Director of Sport Medicine’s absence.
Clinically supervises student athletic trainers as related to performance, academics, schedules, practice, and event coverage. Assists in the daily supervision of the athletic training room.Additional Job DescriptionTime Type RequirementFull timeNote to Applicant:This position profile identifies the key responsibilities and expectations for performance. It cannot encompass all specific job tasks that an employee may be required to perform. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and perform job-related duties as may be reasonably assigned by his/her supervisor.In order to provide a safe and productive learning and living community, Wake Forest University conducts background investigations and drug screens for all final staff candidates being considered for employment.Wake Forest seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce while promoting an inclusive work environment committed to excellence in the spirit of Pro Humanitate. In adherence with applicable laws and as provided by University policies, the University prohibits discrimination in its employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, genetic information, disability and veteran status and encourages qualified candidates across all group demographics to apply.