Biology Core Labs Preparator
Job location: Winston Salem, NC
Employment Type: Part-time
Posted data: 2021-06-08
- Additional documentation must be added at the bottom of the third screen under the "My Experience."
- Internal candidates must apply via the internal career portal. Do not proceed with your application from this website.
- DO NOT complete the application without the required attachments as you will be unable to edit your application.
Job Title: Biology Core Labs Preparator
Reports to: Chair of Biology
Part-time (28.75 hours per week) position preparing Biology core teaching laboratories for instruction under supervision of the Core Labs Coordinator and Assistant Core Labs Coordinator. Sets up, maintains, and removes experimental equipment and consumable materials weekly. At end of semester, assists other Core Labs staff with inventory, equipment maintenance, and preparation for the fall semester. Also oversees chemical hygiene program for the Department of Biology, serving as Safety Assistant during chemical disposal, hazardous waste pickups, building inspections, and other safety-related tasks.
- Weekly preparation and set-up for core biology teaching labs.
- Works with Core Labs staff to ensure safe working conditions in Biology teaching laboratory classrooms.
- Works with Environmental Health & Safety staff to assure compliance with local, state, and federal safety regulations.
Required Education, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- BS/BA in a biological science or chemistry; prior experience with teaching laboratory set-up preferred.
Preferred Education, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Experience teaching undergraduate lab classes.
- Knowledge of basic cell and molecular biology.
- Ability to communicate effectively (oral and written).
- Proficiency with standard office and statistical software.
- Knowledge of (or willingness to learn) about regulatory compliance issues.
- Once trained, ability to work with minimal supervision using the above knowledge and skills.
- Medium work. Stooping, kneeling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, lifting, fingering, feeling, talking, hearing. Close visual acuity.
- Subject to inside environmental conditions.
- Subject to hazards (chemicals).
- Works closely with Core Labs staff to prepare teaching labs for students at the start of each week of the semester and throughout the week, as needed.
- Cultures and ensures survival of non-hazardous unicellular organisms, bacteria, and insects used in lab exercises.
- Assists in the maintenance of a clean and welcoming environment in Biology teaching labs.
- Serves as liaison between Environmental Health & Safety and the Department of Biology.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
This position profile identifies the key responsibilities and expectations for performance. It cannot encompass all specific job tasks that an employee may be required to perform. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and perform job-related duties as may be reasonably assigned by his/her supervisor.
In order to provide a safe learning and living community, Wake Forest University conducts background investigations and drug screens for all final candidates being considered for employment.
Wake Forest seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce, and encourages qualified candidates across all group demographics to apply.Additional Job DescriptionTime Type RequirementPart timeNote to Applicant:This position profile identifies the key responsibilities and expectations for performance. It cannot encompass all specific job tasks that an employee may be required to perform. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and perform job-related duties as may be reasonably assigned by his/her supervisor.In order to provide a safe and productive learning and living community, Wake Forest University conducts background investigations and drug screens for all final staff candidates being considered for employment.Wake Forest seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce while promoting an inclusive work environment committed to excellence in the spirit of Pro Humanitate. In adherence with applicable laws and as provided by University policies, the University prohibits discrimination in its employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, genetic information, disability and veteran status and encourages qualified candidates across all group demographics to apply.