10018482 Director of Residence Life
Staff Application - please complete and email with supporting documentsSchool/Department: Residence Life Primary Location: Cochran Position: Staff Job Type: Full Time Position Close Date: Until Filled Description:
JOB SUMMARY: This position provides departmental leadership for all aspects of the residential community and is charged with fostering a vibrant and welcoming residential environment that enhances the curricular and co-curricular lives of students and supports the overall goals of the division and the university.
Develops and implements strategic goals and objectives for the department.
- Oversees occupancy management operations and defines and develops opportunities for growth.
- Compiles data, recognizes trends, and makes recommendations to university management.
- Reviews department procedures and policies to ensure they are in line with institutional goals and current best practices
- Manages the department’s budget and contributing to annual budget planning.
- Contributes to campus initiatives such as retention and new student orientation.
- Develops, implements, and evaluates residential programming and living learning communities.
- Provides direction for housing marketing and recruitment efforts.
- Assesses student satisfaction in housing through formal and informal means, such as benchmarking surveys, customer satisfaction phone surveys, and student focus groups;
- Works with vice president and other senior-level leaders and colleagues within the division on strategic planning and implementation of such plans; prepare and oversee the preparation of special and periodic reports on departmental operations, programs and initiatives.
Responds residential situations in an efficient and effective manner.
- Communicates effectively with students, faculty, staff and parents regarding student issues in housing, residential options, and other housing related concerns.
- Assists with student conduct matters, and assessment and care team in matters pertaining to student conduct.
- Oversees hiring, training, supervising, and evaluating professional and student staff.
Establishes and maintains positive relationships with the community; collaborates with institutional partners in implementing a broad spectrum of initiatives.
- Travels between residential campuses and as needed.
- Attends development seminars, conferences or other opportunities to stay abreast of best practices.
- Identifies as a Campus Security Authority (CSA)
- Performs related duties.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION:
- Knowledge acquired from progressive experience in residential life
- Knowledge of issues related to residential living and student development theory.
- Knowledge of residential life program management principles
- Knowledge of student disciplinary policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of residential building maintenance schedules and principles.
- Knowledge of supervisory principles and practices.
- Knowledge of StarRez Housing Management software, preferred.
- Skill in the delegation of responsibility and authority.
- Skills in crisis intervention, management, and conflict resolution.
- Skill in the operation of computers and job related software programs.
- Skill in decision making and problem solving.
- Skill in interpersonal relations and in dealing with the public.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
SUPERVISORY CONTROLS: The Vice President for Student Affairs assigns work in terms of department goals and objectives. The supervisor reviews work through conferences, reports, and observation of department activities.
GUIDELINES: Guidelines include the academic calendar, course catalogs, the employee handbook, and the student handbook and code of conduct. These guidelines require judgment, selection and interpretation in application. This position develops department guidelines.
COMPLEXITY/SCOPE OF WORK:
- The work consists of varied management and supervisory duties. The necessity of responding to unforeseen and emergency situations contributes to the complexity of the position.
- The purpose of this position is to direct the residence life operations. Success in this position contributes to the delivery of efficient and effective residential life services to college students.
- Contacts are typically with co-workers, other college employees, vendors, contractors, students, and members of the general public.
- Contacts are typically to provide services; to give or exchange information; to resolve problems; to motivate or influence persons; or to justify, defend or negotiate matters.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- The work is typically performed while intermittently sitting, standing, or stooping. The employee occasionally lifts light and heavy objects.
- The work is typically performed in an office, stockroom, warehouse or outdoors, occasionally in cold or inclement weather.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY: This position has direct supervision over Residence Life Coordinator (9), Community Assistants (8), Residence Life Assistant (2), and Assistant Director of Residence Life (2).
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with the completion of a master’s degree in Higher Education, Student Services, Student Affairs, Counseling, or a closely related occupational field.
- Experience sufficient to thoroughly understand the diverse objectives and functions of the subunits in the division/department in order to direct and coordinate work within the division/department, usually interpreted to require five or more years of post-master’s professional work experience and progressive leadership in housing, residence life, or related area.
- Ability to comfortably and effectively communicate with students, colleagues, and others as needed.
- Experience working effectively with diverse populations.
- Ability to exercise good judgment, resolve issues effectively, and respond to crisis situations.
- Exempt Employee
- Salary Grade 23
TO APPLY: Application materials should be emailed as a Microsoft Word or Adobe.pdf attachment to: [email protected] with the subject line “10018482 Director of Residence Life - Cochran 6.9.2021”. Application materials are to include a resume, an MGA Staff application; a letter of interest which includes salary requirements; and three professional references. Paper application materials will not be accepted.
Background checks will be conducted on all final candidatesStaff Application - please complete and email with supporting documentsA Unit of the University System of GeorgiaEEO/AA/M/F/V/D