Tax Compliance Manager
Tax Compliance ManagerPosting Number:
Tax Compliance ManagerWorking Title:
Tax Compliance ManagerClassification Code:
2011RCW Exemption Criteria:
16 - Principal AssistantEWU Position Number:
Exempt - ProfessionalBargaining Unit :
None% Full Time:
100Salary / Wage Range:
AE - 112Salary Information:
$66,520 – $93,132Anticipated Start Date:
TBDTerm of Appointment:
Yes - BothResponsible HR User:
Vara Lyn ConrathResponsible HR User Email address:
- Eastern Washington University seeks candidates for a Tax Compliance Manager.
- The Tax Compliance Manager provides continual management and implementation of university tax requirements, including tax advisory, planning, compliance, and reporting needs. This position has and continues to develop expert knowledge of the various regulatory issues related to state, federal, and international tax compliance. With ever-growing complexity in tax regulation and requirements, this position ensures compliance of existing and future laws both within the state, interstate, as well as internationally.
- The Tax Compliance Manager will collaborate closely with functional teams and prepare training resources to continuously improve systems and educate the University community on tax matters. Reporting to the controller, this position operates with a high level of independence and is expected to demonstrate a significant level of acumen, tact, and discretion. The Tax Manager performs as a team player and an experienced technical advise.
- The Tax Compliance Manager is responsible for assuring data submitted in tax documents comply with all university, state and federal requirements. This position communicates verbally and in writing the University’s tax requirements including preparation and delivery of instructional materials and acts as a tax subject matter expert in response to inquiries. This position is responsible for various EWU tax filings and collaboration with other departments including identifying and resolving University tax compliance obligations and many tax reporting functions.
- The Tax Compliance Manager works with outside tax service providers and legal experts to manage contractual relationships for research and compliance requirements related to employment outside of Washington State (i.e., tax home).
- The candidate selected for this position will be rewarded with competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits package which includes highly subsidized health/dental plans, retirement plan with 100% university match, generous paid vacation and sick leave, 11 paid holidays, tuition waiver benefit and more.
Eastern Washington University is a regional, comprehensive public university located in Cheney and Spokane, Washington, with programs offered throughout the state and online with an enrollment of over 12,000 students. Eastern is one of six state-funded four-year institutions of higher education in Washington reporting to its own Board of Trustees.
Eastern’s 300-acre main campus is located in Cheney, a community of 11,000 residents 16 miles southwest of the state’s second largest city, Spokane. Eastern also offers programs in downtown Spokane at the Brand new Catalyst building and on the Riverpoint Campus which is shared with Washington State University. Eastern also offers program throughout the state based on the needs of the community. Eastern offers an array of bachelor’s and master’s degrees and one applied doctorate in physical therapy. EWU offers 135 fields of study, 9 master’s degrees, 12 graduate certificates, 39 graduate programs, 1 educational specialist degree, and 1 applied doctorate to more than 10,000 enrolled students.Diversity Statement:
EWU does not discriminate in its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship or immigration status, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, genetic information, age, marital status, families with children, protected veteran or military status, HIV or hepatitis C, status as a mother breastfeeding her child, or the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability or the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability, as provided for and to the extent required by state and federal laws.Conditions of Employment:
- This position, during the course of university employment will be involved in the receipt of, or accountability for, university funds or other items of value; as well as the unsupervised access with the developmentally disabled, vulnerable adults or children under the age of 16. The offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion and passing of a background check prior to beginning employment.
- If you would like to obtain a copy of the Essential Functions Analysis form, which describes the physical and mental demands of the position, please contact Vara Lyn Conrath at [email protected]
NoHearing Test :
NoMedical Monitoring Post Hire :
NoProtective Equipment :
University, local, regional and state mandates for public and personal protection should be followed as needed.Required Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business administration or closely related field
- Three years of progressively responsible operational experience in areas such as finance, payroll, and tax regulation
- Three years of progressive experience preparing institutional tax returns
- Experience working with federal and state tax regulations and reporting
- Experience researching and interpreting complex tax laws and regulations for business applications
- Demonstrated experience with integrated, enterprise level accounting software systems
- Exceptional analytical and organizational skills
- Excellent consultative, written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to apply a culturally responsive and flexible approach that is supportive to the diverse needs, including universal accessibility, or our students, staff, faculty and the public.
- CPA or Master’s Degree with an emphasis in Taxation
- Specific experience in managing tax regulation requirements
- Experience interpreting and implementing applicable federal/state tax guidance related to higher education
- Direct tax experience (federal, state, local, and/or international) at a large public accounting firm, law firm, multinational corporation, or university
- High-level proficiency using enterprise-level accounting systems, ad hoc query tools and/or report writers
- Extensive hands-on system administration experience with Ellucian Banner or similar ERP systems
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in federal tax-exempt organization tax matters
- Experience with IRS, state, and foreign government audits
- Ability to identify problems, develop solutions and implement change
- Ability to use discretion, tact and good judgment when working with highly sensitive and confidential information
- The position is officially located on our Cheney Campus with regular office hours 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- We are abiding by the Governor’s guidance and allow teleworking with supervisor’s approval.
05/12/2021Open Until Further Notice:
YesScreening to Begin:
ImmediatelySpecial Instructions to Applicants:
To be considered for this opportunity, please submit your application materials through our online applicant portal located at http://jobs.hr.ewu.edu. If you are unable to submit through the applicant portal, please contact Vara Lyn Conrath at (509) 359-4300.
Required application materials and information must include:
- Cover letter, which explains how you meet or exceed each of the qualifications of the position, required and preferred if applicable. The preferred format is to provide a bulleted list within the body of the cover letter.
- Resume to include work history and major duties, education, and any specialized training or skills related to the position.
- List of at least 3 professional references including names, title, organization name, phone numbers, email addresses, and their connection to you.
- Diversity Response: As an equal opportunity employer with a multicultural staff and student population, we are interested in how your qualifications prepare you to work with diverse faculty, staff, and student populations representing various cultures and backgrounds that may be different from your own. Please describe how you will apply an approach that is supportive to the diverse needs, including universal access, of our students, faculty, staff, and the public.
Application% of Time:
75Responsibility / Duty:
Institutional Tax Compliance Leadership, Consultation and Operations
Leadership & Consultation
•Serve as the operational leader for the tax planning function, ensuring that university-wide tax practices follow international, federal, state and local tax laws as well as other regulatory requirements
•Manage income tax matters for the institution, including unrelated business income tax and foreign income tax
•Advise individuals at all levels of the organization regarding tax issues and appropriate courses of action
•Provide oversight for tax reporting and compliance across the institution for international, federal, state, and local tax laws. Serve as a technical resource to the EWU community on all tax issues
•Proactively collaborate with University partners to gain a thorough understanding of EWU operations in order to identify tax needs and provide effective tax guidance
•Proactively reach out to and advise the University units on international, federal, and state income and sales tax consequences associated with revenue generating activities for potential unrelated business income tax liability
•Advise management of the impact of new tax laws, coordinate audits by various taxing authorities, and function as the University liaison with external auditors on tax related matters
•Identify and support tax technology and process improvement initiatives
•Make articulate and concise presentations on the tax issues and risks to a diverse group of senior leaders
•Prepare responses to governmental (international, federal, or state) tax inquiries, requests, or correspondences
•Monitor compliance with complex IRS rules and regulations, devising tax strategies to mitigate or eliminate tax liability exposure
•Evaluate new payroll tax regulations, determine impact on EWU, prepare implementation plan
•Review IRS guidance pertaining to the university’s deferred compensation plans and monitor for compliance
•Prepare interpretation of tax regulations and provide relevant executive summaries that assess the impact upon the institution
•Collaborate with Accounts Payable, Payroll, Student Services, and Human Resources for all tax matters including sales and use tax, foreign national payments and honorariums, payroll taxes, 1099’s and 1098-T
•Collect and organize data from stakeholders to prepare tax returns
•Manage the preparation, review and submission (filing) of various tax returns, including payroll tax reporting for the institution (IRS Form 941 and Forms W-2, state, federal, and international reporting)
•Set up and maintain state and international tax accounts, as needed
•Maintain tax software applications (e.g., International Tax Navigator)
•Maintain employee information forms for non-traditional employees (i.e., working away from their tax home)
•Conduct planning, analysis and continuous communication regarding UBIT, UBIT estimates, and UBIT sources.
Yes% of Time:
10Responsibility / Duty:
Tax Service Provider Contract Management (relationships with external tax professionals)
•Manage contractual relationships with the University’s external tax service and legal providers for interstate and international employment tax research and requirements
•Prepare a tax analysis of local country rules and regulations for all aspects of EWU research, collaborations, and significant initiatives in foreign countries where EWU has a presence or is considering establishing a presence
Yes% of Time:
15Responsibility / Duty:
Training and Documentation
•Identify training needs for tax related issues such as sales tax, UBIT and independent contractors
•Design and prepare instructional materials and deliver on-line and in-person training to campus personnel
•Prepare internal procedures for tax compliance
•In collaboration with the Payroll Manager, assist with the production of training materials and staff training for payroll related matters with tax implications
•Understand and develop expertise of the systems that support tax related functions and reporting