Job descriptionJob no: 712121
Work type: Support Staff
Pay Grade: 75
Major Administrative Unit / College: College Of Human Medicine
Department: Obstetrics Gynecology & Reproductive Bio 10022618
Sub Area: NURS- Nurses
Salary: Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Health Care Professional, Nurses- NURS, Full Time (90-100%), Non-Union
The gynecologic oncology nurse practitioner functions as a primary care provider to patients assigned to the Michigan State University/Karmanos Cancer Institute at McLaren Greater Lansing. The successful candidate will be expected to:
- Provide treatment for an assigned caseload of patients. Collaborate with physician and nursing personnel in provision of the plan of care.
- Assesses the patents health through a complete history and physical examination.
- Documents findings of the health history and physical examination and the patient's progress in progress notes with countersignature by the physician.
- Order diagnostic studies and therapeutic measures in collaboration with the responsible physician
- Order medications utilizing approved goals, guidelines, and protocols.
- Order consultations. Collaborates with physicians, other health professionals and family in planning the patient's discharge, as appropriate.
- Performs medical clinical privileged procedures consistent with level of education and experience and subsequent to supervision and approval by physician
- applies patient care equipment
- removes sutures and staples from incisions
- irrigation and other wound care
- removes medical equipment such as drain and catheters
- obtains cultures
- prescribes a variety of interventions to meet the patient's needs, including but not limited to, medication, nutrition and exercise and assesses patient response
- others as defined by specialty
- Assesses and provides education to meet the needs of patients and families
- Supports and assists nursing staff to meet the educational needs of patients and families during hospitalization and in preparation for discharge
- Teaches and supports self-care activities including problem-solving and selection of treatment alternatives
- Provides health counseling and emotional support throughout care
- Participates in decision-making regarding issues which impact areas of clinical practice
- Systematically evaluates the quality and effectiveness of care provided
- Provide consultation by:
- Collaborates with team members to develop plans of care for select patients and patient populations to ensure efficient use of resources
- Provides clarification of patient care issues, and clinical recommendations for care. Offers specialized knowledge and skill to assist with the management of difficult patients/families
- Provides emotional support and reassurance to the nursing staff regarding patient care issues
- Functions as a liaison between patient, family, members of the health care team, and/or community agencies
- Assist in clinical supervision and teaching of residents, advanced practice nursing students, and PA students.
- Participate in performance evaluations.
- Formulate long and short-term goals based on self-assessment of strengths and weaknesses.
- Participate as appropriate in the formulation, revision, and implementation of policies and procedures.
- Participate in performance improvement
- Assist in maintaining a climate conducive to open communication.
- Act as a role model and resource for peers, residents, and nursing staff.
- Maintain a working knowledge of applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations, the Corporate Compliance Plan, Code of Ethics, and other policies and procedures to ensure adherence in a manner reflecting honest, ethical, and professional behavior.
- Serve as a role model representative of Michigan State University by demonstrating adherence to customer service standards and by respecting the privacy and confidentiality of our patients.
- Demonstrate knowledge of and respect patient, service provider, and organizational confidentiality procedures and protocols defined under the HIPAA Privacy Policies.
- Follow established HIPAA privacy procedures when using and/or disclosing protected health information.
- Maintains and protects patients’ rights under HIPAA privacy standards.
- Apply research findings in their practice and teaching.
- Support and participate in research activities.
- Promote understanding of research projects and/or findings for nursing students, staff, and peers.
Knowledge equivalent to that which normally would be acquired by completing one or two years of post-bachelor degree work such as a Masters in Nursing; one to three years of related and progressively more responsible or expansive work experience in direct nursing care in a specialized area or a Master's Degree in Nursing; up to six months of related and progressively more responsible or expansive work experience in direct nursing care in a specialized area; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. The position also requires possession of a current license to practice as a Registered Nurse and specialty certification as a Nurse Practitioner in the State of Michigan. May require certification by the American Nurses' Association in a specialty area.Desired Qualifications
Clinical knowledge and skill necessary to formulate nursing and medical interventions.
Ability to demonstrate the knowledge and skill necessary to provide care based on physical, psycho/social, educational, safety, and related criteria.
Interpersonal skills to effectively and appropriately communicate with patients, families, physicians, nurses, and other associates.Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.Required Application Materials
1. Cover letter
2. Curriculum vitae or resumé
3. Names and contact information of three references
Advertised: Jun 9, 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Jun 22, 2021 Eastern Daylight Time