Job descriptionJob no: 711948
Work type: Support Staff
Pay Grade: 16
Major Administrative Unit / College: Infrastructure Planning And Facilities
Department: Ipf Maint Serv Electrical Area 40001040
Sub Area: SSTU- Skilled Trades
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Full Time (90-100%), Skilled Trades- SSTU, Skilled Trades, Union
This position will maintain, repair, and install secondary power distribution systems (0-600 volts), including distribution and branch panels, feeders, branch wiring, lighting fixtures, wiring devices, motors, starters, motor control centers (MCC), generators and controls; installs, maintains, repairs and tests communications and specialty systems, such as fire alarms, smoke detectors, vehicle parking control systems, security systems and emergency lighting; tests continuity of electrical circuits of installed or repaired equipment using electrical measuring instruments; analyzes malfunctioning of electrical equipment using ammeter, voltmeter, ohmmeter, drawings, and visual inspection; installs and troubleshoots variable frequency drives and similar equipment; will read and interpret blueprints, diagrams, sketches, circuit diagrams and job specifications; requisitions materials and parts; estimate time and material to be used on the job; stock, maintain, and may operate a University service vehicle. This position may carry an on-call cell phone on a weekly rotating basis.
This position will engage in high performing, leading edge practices, valuing people, partners and stewardship. At IPF, we are committed to fostering an equitable, inclusive culture; engaging and hiring a diverse workforce.Unit Specific Education/Experience/Skills
- Completion of a high school education or an equivalent combination of technical training and experience.
- Successful completion of an applicable trade-specific Trades Helper program, or completion of an approved apprenticeship program, or an associate degree, or equivalent education/experience.
- Five years of experience in the electrical trade that includes four years of experience in commercial electrical installation, maintenance and troubleshooting and demonstrated ability to independently perform the duties and responsibilities of the classification, or equivalent experience.
- Possession of a State of Michigan Journeyman Electrician license.
- Must possess a Master’s Electrician license to receive progression the step increases at the 24-month mark.
- Expert knowledge of methods, materials, tools, equipment, occupational hazards, and safety precautions of the trade.
- Expert knowledge of applicable electrical codes, rules, and regulations (local, state, and national).
- Possession of a valid vehicle operator's license and may require a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) with applicable endorsements.
- Must furnish own hand tools.
- Frequent lifting of 26 to 75 pounds and occasional lifting of over 75 pounds.
One year of job related experience in the installation, maintenance or troubleshooting of security, fire alarm and related network communications systems; experience in customer contact; one year of experience with installation, troubleshooting, and maintenance
A creative and innovative lifelong learner with the ability to communicate effectively with a diverse population; able to problem solve within a collaborative team environment; ability to understand different perspectives while utilizing expert knowledge of the technical operations of the job.Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.Required Application Materials
NON-STANDARD/VARIABLE WORK HOURS: Monday through Friday second shift 4:30pm to 1:00am and may require after-hours, weekend and holiday work.Summary of Physical Demands
Duties associated with this position involve lifting and carrying up to 75 pounds, pushing/pulling, and climbing ladder, stairs, and working from various types of equipment, including scaffolding.Bidding eligibility ends on 6/15/2021 at 11:55 PM
Advertised: Jun 9, 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Jun 15, 2021 Eastern Daylight Time