Animal Caretaker 2
Animal Caretaker 2🔍School of Humanities and Sciences, Stanford, California, United States📁Research📅Jun 09, 2021 Post Date📅89915 Requisition #Animal Care Assistant IIThe Laboratory of Organismal Biology at Stanford University has a position for a motivated Animal Care Assistant with interests in frog and spider husbandry. Our lab focuses on behavior and physiology and we are looking for someone who loves amphibians and spiders. There are also opportunities to work with our team on K-12 educational outreach about frog and spider biology and assist with our conservation efforts in partnerships with museums and zoos. The main responsibilities of the successful candidate is to provide basic care and husbandry of a variety of frog, crab, and spider species, including feeding and watering animals as well as cleaning and changing cages, according to standard operating procedures or research protocols. Other duties include keeping accurate records, administering medications, and cleaning and maintaining animals rooms. This is a two-year fixed term position with opportunity to renew.Job ResponsibilitiesEmployees in this classification provide basic care, such as feeding and watering animals as prescribed, and perform routine husbandry techniques for a variety of animals, such as breeding (sexing and weaning) and maintaining strains of mice or other animals. The work requires that more complex procedures be performed than at the Animal Care Assistant I level and performed with more independence. May be responsible for the daily transport of all species of animals and related equipment between various facilities using non-commercial vans, trucks or light transit vehicles.Characteristic DutiesThe duties listed under this section are designed to provide a representative sampling of key tasks and/or responsibilities associated with the job. They are not intended to be a complete list of all the duties performed by employees in the classification.
- Clean and maintain assigned animal rooms
- Observe and record signs of unusual appearance, behavior, illness, or death in animals; complete and maintain forms as required
- Determine sex and wean animals according to established protocols
- Administer pre-measured medications according to instructions
- Obtain routine diagnostic specimens from animals, i.e., blood for viral tests
- Maintain separation of various strains of rodents
- Keep accurate and complete records on animal inventories and activities as required by various regulatory agencies
- May deliver and pick up animals, caging and other supplies between research animal facilities using department owned non-commercial vans, trucks or light transit vehicles.
- May load and unload delivery vehicles by hand or by using a hand-truck, pallet-jack, dolly or forklift.
- May sanitize vehicles and maintain logs of maintenance requirements as needed. May perform any of the duties described in the Animal Care Assistant I specification or other duties as assigned. Adhere to safety rules.
- In addition to the qualifications described for the Animal Care Assistant I level the Animal Care Assistant IIs should have: Familiarity with NIH guidelines, Stanford animal care and use policies, and USDA regulations. Ability to safely operate hand-truck, forklift, and pallet jack machines, as well as non-commercial vans, trucks and light transit vehicles
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 5844
- Employee Status: Fixed-Term
- Grade: A16
- Requisition ID: 89915