Laboratory Research Specialist
The University of Maryland, Baltimore School of Medicine Department of Pathology Research is currently recruiting for a Laboratory Research Specialist.
- Perform independent project(s) and participate in the design of research studies. Compile, analyze, and interpret research data using various relevant computer software applications.
- Independently perform day to day laboratory research activities such as: general housekeeping, daily observations of animal health; collection of cultures and biological specimens for diagnostic testing and monitoring of animal health; diagnostic molecular (ELISA), bacteriological, or biological assays; breeding colonization processes; irradiation of blood products; and executing biochemical or hematopoietic procedures such as: bone marrow aspirations, complete blood count, white cell differential, electrophoresis, blotting, chromatography, PCR and DNA extractions, etc.; and may require performing psychological enrichment of certain species.
- Administer day-to-day laboratory operations including monitoring the budget, ensuring quality control and safety compliance, developing policies and procedures, and ordering supplies. Maintain proper operation of research equipment, ensuring proper operation records, cleaning, ordering of required components and explaining/resolving technical issues.
- Conduct library research and participates in editing and preparing manuscripts, scientific illustrations and computer graphics for publication. Contribute to the preparation of journal articles and grant proposals. Presents research findings.
- Prepare materials for research studies, including sample collection kits and research documents.
- Assist in the training of undergraduate and graduate students, post-doctoral, international fellows, and/or junior technical personnel in the performance of a variety of laboratory techniques.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree in biology, chemistry or field of study related to the research of the laboratory.EXPERIENCE: Three (3) years of experience including two (2) years in the relevant research specialization.OTHER: May consider a combination of directly related experience and education. May require training related to occupational safety and health, environmental compliance, shipping of hazardous materials and/or ionizing radiation.KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:Knowledge of position requirements. Knowledge of all applicable requirements, regulations, and laws. Skill in effective use of applicable technology/systems. Ability to effectively communicate both verbal and written thoughts, ideas, and facts. Ability to work cooperatively with others and independently. Ability to demonstrate, understand, apply, and adhere to the UMB Core Values of Accountability, Civility, Collaboration, Diversity, Excellence, Leadership, and Knowledge.HIRING RANGE: Mid-$50,000s to low-$70,000s, commensurate with education and experience. UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy. For assistance related to employment, please contact the Staffing department at [email protected]. If you anticipate needing a reasonable accommodation for a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), during any part of the employment process, please submit a UMB Job Applicant Accommodation Request. You may also contact [email protected]. Please note that only inquiries concerning an ADA request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Job: Reg or CII Exempt Staff
Shift: Day Job
Organization: School of Medicine - Pathology
Job Posting: Jun 9, 2021
Unposting Date: Jun 23, 2021, 10:59:00 PM