Assistant Dean for Undergraduate Medical Education Operations
The University of Maryland School of Medicine (SOM) is seeking an Assistant Dean for Undergraduate Medical Educationn (UME) Operations. This position will report to the Senior Associate Dean for Undergraduate Medical Education and will be responsible for the planning and establishement of strategic operational, financial, and administrative goals, and sets standardized administrative policies, guidelines and operational practices across UME units (medical education, student affairs, admissions, student research). A common strategic framework will govern the people, programs, communication, technology space and funding requests for UME. In addition, this position is responsible for managing and supervising the staff in all UME units, in some cases through an office manager or director.
UMB offers a generous benefits package, which includes 22 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools.
In the Fall of 2021, UMB will require all faculty, staff, and students to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemptions for medical or religious reasons will be processed through Human Resources.
- Collaborates with the Senior Associate Dean for UME to develop a strategy, define and identify innovative approaches to achieving strategic goals, support the financial and non-financial objectives of individual units, drive operational efficiency, and create a climate of accountability.
- Leads a strategic planning process for UME and assists the strengthening of UME through creative partnerships, mergers, expansions, and consolidations.
- Senior Staff leader with responsibility and accountability for staff reporting. Direct reporting relationship for approximately 10 FTE of staff with ultimate responsibility for 25 – 30 via directors in each UME unit. Creates an embedded understanding of unit operations through defining program strengths, initiatives, and overall goals of units, tracking key performance indicators where feasible, process documentation, and ensuring effective succession planning.
- Oversees and supports the full range of administrative functions of UME in a manner that is aligned with budgets, strategies, goals, missions, and vision. Accountability for defining the purpose, goals, and alignment of new or existing programming with the overall missions and vision of the UME through defining program outcomes, human capital requirements, dedicated technology and space need, non-salary support, and communication strategy necessary to make the vision and missions successful.
- Provides leadership to and has accountability for the financial and business operations UME. Approves all financial transactions, all social event budgets, and travel requests and reports. Determines annual budget planning process and has primary role in the creation of the annual budget, overall operational resource allocation and distribution, staffing need assessment, job description consultation and review, and accountability for consistent hiring practices across all units. Responsibility for the successful funding of UME initiatives and future budgeting strategies. In collaboration with the appropriate senior leadership, and consultation with Human Resources develops, maintains, and has accountability for overall staff and faculty adherence to the policies and practices of UME. Develops and coordinates staff professional leadership and development programs, with ongoing responsibility for reorganizations and other personnel initiatives.
- Serves as an active member of the Medical Education Advisory Committee (MEAC) and an ex officio member of the Curriculum Coordinating Committee to ensure strategic goals are being discussed and met.
- Participates in monthly meetings of UME senior leadership with the Chief Operating Officer of the SOM to review UME initiatives and budget and provide innovative thought on achieving goals.
- May be required to participate in standing or ad hoc committees of the SOM, UMB or USM.
Education: Master’s degree in Business, Health Management or other related field.
Experience: Ten (10) years of experience in a business, executive management, or education administration role.
Five (5) years of direct managment or leadership.
Financial disclosure reporting required by the State of Maryland Ethics Commission. The preferred candidate will have:
- Ability to plan, organize, direct people and control resources.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to condense data and present concise information to senior executives.
- Interest in enhancing diversity throughout the organization on all levels.
- Practical experience in budget preparation and reporting, accounts payable and receivable, payroll and year-end closing required.
- Demonstrates ability to set goals, assign priorities, anticipate problems, establish limits, and achieve results.
- Ability to multitask and work in a fast-paced environment.
- Schedules and uses time efficiently.
- Achieves quality results and leads continuous quality improvement activities related to scope of work.
- Demonstrates reliability in meeting deadlines and completing responsibilities.
- Accepts accountability for own performance.
- Requires the ability to work effectively with a broad range of faculty, staff and students under frequent pressure from varied deadlines and job demands.
UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy. For assistance related to employment, please contact the Staffing department at [email protected].
If you anticipate needing a reasonable accommodation for a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), during any part of the employment process, please submit a UMB Job Applicant Accommodation Request. You may also contact [email protected]. Please note that only inquiries concerning an ADA request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Job: Reg or CII Exempt Staff
Shift: Day Job
Organization: School of Medicine - Academic Affairs
Job Posting: Jun 9, 2021
Unposting Date: Jun 16, 2021, 11:59:00 PM