Associate Dean, Academic Administration and Human Resources
The University of Maryland School of Medicine (SOM) is seeking an Associate Dean, Academic Administration and Human Resources. This position Jointly reports to the Vice Dean for Academic Affairs and the Senior Associate Dean for Finance and Business Affairs.
UMB offers a generous benefits package, which includes 22 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools.
In the Fall of 2021, UMB will require all faculty, staff, and students to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemptions for medical or religious reasons will be processed through Human Resources.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversees all faculty recruitment activities in the School of Medicine on behalf of the Dean and the Vice Dean for Academic Affairs. This includes the process of approval for all faculty positions as well as adherence to the process for faculty recruitment waivers and the appointment of fellows.
- Under the guidance of the Dean and Vice Dean, and with the assistance of the UMB legal office, resolves faculty disciplinary matters within SOM/UMB Policy.
- Works with University Counsel and/or the Office of Diversity/EEO/AAP on faculty employment and disciplinary actions in departments, programs, centers and institutes in the SOM
- Meets periodically with the Senior Associate Dean for Clinical Affairs to discuss faculty related performance issues and often with closely with UMMC leadership toward joint solutions. Regular meeting to provide guidance with leadership of the Faculty Affairs and Professional Development office.
- Leads the administrative functions of the Appointment, Promotion and Tenure Committee in the School of Medicine. This includes the recent addition of the Post Tenure Review Process.
- Responsible for the organization and agenda for monthly SOM Executive Committee and SOM Council meetings.
- Leads the process and writes updates for SOM policy changes, which are to be approved through the Council.
- At the Dean’s and Vice Dean’s direction drafts communications concerning adherence to policy and procedures.
- Advises departments (Chairs, APT Partners, Administrators and Payroll Managers) on policy and processes; as well as problem solving unique situations.
- Supervises the staff in the Office of Academic Administration which is the SOM unit approving all updates to faculty compensation, including the awarding of administrative appointments.
- Maintains official compensation records for SOM faculty.
- Leads the SOM’s office of Human Resources (non-faculty).
- Serves the primary official for the AAMC Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) in matters of SOM policy and by-laws related the accreditation process.
- Delegated official for review of timesheets related to the Dean’s direct reports..
Education: Graduate degree in business/public administration or scientific field required.
Experience: Ten (10) years ofexperience in a University or College Office of Academic Administration. Experience with Medical School administration preferred.
Seven (7) years as a direct management and leadership role in an operational unit.
Financial disclosure reporting required by the State of Maryland Ethics Commission.
Hiring Range: Commensurate with education and experience
UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy. For assistance related to employment, please contact the Staffing department at [email protected].
If you anticipate needing a reasonable accommodation for a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), during any part of the employment process, please submit a UMB Job Applicant Accommodation Request. You may also contact [email protected]. Please note that only inquiries concerning an ADA request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Job: Reg or CII Exempt Staff
Shift: Day Job
Organization: School of Medicine - Resource Management
Job Posting: Jun 9, 2021
Unposting Date: Jun 16, 2021, 10:59:00 PM