Senior Systems Administrator UNIX
The Center for Information Technology Services (CITS) is currently seeking a Senior UNIX Systems Administrator to provide UNIX-based server administration in a hybrid environment. The selected candidate will work both independently and on a team responsible for the installation, support and maintenance of physical, virtual, and cloud servers. Will enforce IT system policies and procedures, and will have responsibility for the integrity and security of enterprise systems. Will collaborate with other IT staff, to ensure deliverance of high quality services.
The University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package to eligible employees. This position receives an annual leave package starting with 22 accrued vacation days, 14 floating and observed holidays, 15 sick days, and 3 personal days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; professional learning and development opportunities; flexible schedules and teleworking options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools. In the Fall of 2021, UMB will require all faculty, staff, and students to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemptions for medical or religious reasons will be processed through Human Resources. Essential Functions:
• Oversees and performs server administration, installation and maintenance, such duties as systems patching and implementing server based security based on industry best practices.
• Documents day-to-day operational procedures and protocols associated with hardware and operating system environments, as well as reviews system monitoring and logging of abnormalities.
• Ensures security and integrity of operating system to increased efficiency for users, applications, operating systems management, etc. Assists in the evaluation of new technologies and products.
• Makes recommendations for upgrades to hardware and software based on existing operations, pending needs and available budget.
• Provides technical support for application, web and database servers and resolves system related issues.
• Responsible for interfacing with other campus staff and department team members to ensure integration of systems and applications. Frequently has project leadership responsibilities and provides training to other IT professionals.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelors in Information Technology, Computer Science, Systems Administration, Computer Engineering or related field.
Experience: Four (4) years of experience with proficient knowledge of at least one (1) Unix/Linux operating system, preferably RHEL/CentOS or Solaris.
Related experience may be substituted for education on a year-for-year basis.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Familiarity with multiple information technologies that include operating systems, server virtualization, cloud based infrastructure, automation, and middleware with expertise in several of the technologies. Preferences include: RedHat/CentOS Linux, Solaris, VMWare, X86 hardware, AWS, and Oracle Cloud.
• Familiarity with high availability, disaster recovery, and load balancer concepts is a plus.
• Familiarity with wired and wireless networking hardware and architectures. Familiarity with Virtual LAN (VLAN) setup and configuration, Virtual Private Networks, routing, IPV4, IPV6, etc.
• Proficiency with various network protocols such as: TCP/IP, NFS, DNS, SSH, (S)FTP, etc.
• Proficiency in system security, OS hardening and authentication protocols such as LDAP and Shibboleth.
• Proficiency in scripting languages such as: Python, Perl, UNIX shell scripting (bash, ksh, etc.)
• Familiarity with server configuration and automation tools such as Ansible, Puppet, Chef, Cobbler, Kickstart, Cloudformation, etc.
• Familiarity with open source tools, applications and development practices such as MySQL, Apache, Tomcat.
• Ability to identify and address intricate performance enhancement issues that have potential impact for the campus community.
• Knowledge of office automation tools such as word processors, spreadsheets, and presentation software.
• Ability to work effectively in a multi-member project team including the ability to cooperate with other team members, work within the scope of the divided tasks, and report progress to project leader.
• Ability to work effectively on multiple on-going projects and the ability to estimate time for tasks in consultation with senior staff.
• Good writing and presentation skills.
• Good analytical, interpersonal, and communication skills.
• Ability to adapt to changing priorities and quickly learn new skills and techniques.
• Experience with cloud based infrastructure architecture and deployment.
Hiring Range: Approximately $90,000 - $110,000, commensurate with education and experience. UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy. For assistance related to employment, please contact the Staffing department at [email protected].
Job: Reg or CII Exempt Staff
Shift: Day Job
Organization: CITS Operations
Job Posting: Jun 8, 2021
Unposting Date: Jul 8, 2021, 11:59:00 PM