Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-06-08
The University of Virginia's Department of Student Health and Wellness seeks a fulltime family nurse practitioner to provide primary care to University of Virginia students.
We are a growing center looking for applicants who would like to join our team during this exciting time of expansion. Part of this growth involves expanding our care to serve an increasingly diverse student body. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment that celebrates diversity and decreases barriers to help-seeking and are looking for applicants who share these values.
Competitive candidates will have experience and interest in working with first generation college students, international students and BIPOC students. Applicants skilled in working with eating and body image concerns, LGBTQ+ populations, or men’s health, are encouraged to apply.
The nurse practitioner hired for this position will be expected to provide high quality, evidence-based primary health care, including women’s health care, to University of Virginia students in compliance with the medical staff bylaws of the Department of Student Health and Wellness. Excellent clinical and interpersonal skills are required. Patient care activities may include supervision and instruction of UVA Health system trainees as they participate in clinical rotations in Medical Services. This will include one-on-one teaching, oversight of patient care, and providing feedback.
Nurse practitioners may be required to perform other duties as assigned and may be required to assist the agency or state government generally in the event of an emergency declaration by the Governor.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Providing the full spectrum of health care services to include health promotion, disease prevention, health protection, anticipatory guidance, counseling, and disease management.
- Assessing, diagnosing, and treating minor illnesses, and managing chronic health problems.
- Assessing and evaluating vague or ill-defined symptoms in adolescents and adults.
- Developing a plan of care based on assessment, which includes prescribing appropriate medications and treatments, providing follow-up care, and evaluating effectiveness of care.
- Analyzing the multiple effects of pharmacologic agents, including over-the-counter preparations.
- Diagnosing commonly occurring acute and chronic, multi-symptom health problems.
- Promoting self-care by adolescent and adult patients.
- Graduate degree in nursing as an Advanced Practice Nurse
- Virginia Nurse Practitioner license by time of hire
- Virginia Prescriptive authority by time of hire
- DEA license or DEA license eligible
- Certification as a family nurse practitioner
- Two years or more clinical experience practicing as nurse practitioner.
- Experience in college health and/or adolescent medicine.
- Experience in providing medical for LGBTQ+ patients
- Experience in medical management of eating disorders
- Experience in providing men’s health care.
The successful candidate will pass both a background check and a health and drug screen. PROCESS FOR INTERNAL UVA APPLICANTS: Please apply through your Workday Home page, search “Find Jobs” and search for ‘R0025279.' Complete an application online and attach a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references (name, email address, telephone number, address). PROCESS FOR EXTERNAL UVA APPLICANTS: Please visit UVA job board https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs, search for 'Requisition R0025279,' complete the application and attach a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references (name, email address, telephone number, address). Please note that multiple documents must be uploaded in the box. Applications that do not contain all of the required documents will not receive full consideration. For information regarding the position or the application process, please contact Michele Jarman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This position may sit or stand for prolonged periods of time. Will require computer work at a desk or in lab either sitting or standing and typing on a keyboard.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.