Assistant Director for Career Development (Staff Wage)
Job location: Remote - Virginia
Employment Type: Part-time
Posted data: 2021-06-08
The University of Virginia School of Data Science (SDS)—the first of its kind in the nation—is guided by common goals: to further discovery, share knowledge, and make a positive impact on society through collaborative, open, and responsible data science research and education.
The Assistant Director for Career Development reports to the Assistant Dean of Students, and will work as part of the Career Development team (comprised of the Assistant Director of Career Advising and the Associate Director of Career Connections and Community Engagement) to provide M.S. in Data Science students with career and professional development programming. The Assistant Director will work to enhance student experience at SDS and provide superior customer service to students, alumni, employers, and all SDS constituents.
The M.S. in Data Science program is cohort-based, and includes an 11-month full-time program, an 18 month (on average) part-time program, and a 22 month dual-degree program with Darden. The students come from various undergraduate majors and institutions, with varying levels of work experience. Our part-time students generally tend to be working professionals, who find great benefit in the flexibility that online courses offer for their schedules. Most of our students are looking for their first jobs in data science, whether it be their first full-time role, or due to them making a career change.
This position is a temporary, 6-month hire, with the capacity to be fully remote or hybrid, and the possibility of converting to a full-time position.
Career Advising and Programming for MSDS students
- Serve as a student point of contact for the Summer Career Series for incoming full-time students
- Provide direct student service through one-on-one appointments, including evening availability options for part-time students
- Assist Associate Director for Career Connections in providing career support to May 2021 alumni
- Conduct resume, cover letter, LinkedIn and portfolio reviews
- Conduct and facilitate career development programming for fall recruiting season
- Curate and distribute career resources
- Maintain communication with students via newsletters and other channels, ensuring that students are aware of career and recruiting activities and opportunities on-Grounds
- Liaise with Student Success Coaches around all career initiatives for part-time students
- Liaise with broader “Business and Technology” community around collaborative career programming initiatives
- Collect and track data related to career activities and maintain records for team
Support Broader Career Services Goals and Initiatives Across SDS
- Assist with Destinations data collection and communication
- Contribute to the planning and implementation of Industry Advisor and Expert-in-Residence program and ensure the program meets the needs of students
- Represent the Career Development Team at SDS Committee Meetings
- Master’s degree in counseling, student affairs, higher education, organizational development, or a related field
- Two years of experience in career development, counseling, or recruiting
- Experience with one-on-one career coaching and leading career workshops
- Experience planning events and working with multiple stakeholders
- Ease working with a variety of stakeholders, from undergraduate students to senior-level executives
- Knowledge of data science and analytics careers
- Strong planning and organizational skills
- Exhibits a genuine passion for helping students develop personally and professionally
- Ability to work evening hours
- Experience with Handshake, Qualtrics, Zoom, Slack preferred
This position will work approximately 32 hours per week.
This is a wage position which is not eligible for leave or other benefits and is limited to 1500 hours of work in a year. For more information, refer to the Wage Employment link: http://uvapolicy.virginia.edu/policy/HRM-029
To apply, please submit an application online through Workday at https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs and attach a current CV/Resume and Cover Letter. Search on requisition number: R0025158.
The University will perform background checks on all new hires prior to employment. This position will also require an Education Verification. (FSAKA)
Questions related to the application process may be directed to Jen Krahn, HR Specialist at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.