Lab and Research Tech 2 OR Laboratory Specialist in Pharmacology (Bayliss Lab)
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-06-08
The Department of Pharmacology at the University of Virginia seeks either a Laboratory and Research Technician 2 or Laboratory Specialist (depending on qualifications) to assist investigators in the Bayliss Lab with experiments designed to investigate the role of membrane ion channels in function of brainstem respiratory neurons. The individual will predominantly be maintaining mouse colonies, performing molecular and histological assays, working with slices and slice culture models, and performing rodent-based stereotaxic surgeries behavioral testing. Experimental techniques may include PCR, RNA/DNA preparation and manipulation, cell culture, immunocytochemistry and in situ hybridization, plethysmography, and blood chemistry analyses. Skill sets in molecular biology, histochemistry and mouse physiology are desired.
Learn more about the Bayliss Lab: https://pharm.virginia.edu/bayliss/
Duties and Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Maintain mouse inventories (genotyping, husbandry, database management).
- Perform standard molecular biology (transformation, plasmid preparation, mutagenesis, and sub-cloning).
- Learn/implement cell culture approaches for preparation of viral constructs; prepare cultured cells and brain slices for electrophysiological recordings.
- Perform a variety of experimental procedures and assist in evaluation of research methods, procedures, and techniques based on established objectives (e.g., stereotaxic surgeries, behavioral assays, histochemical assays).
Laboratory Maintenance and General Duties
- Maintain a clean laboratory area and assist with overall laboratory maintenance.
- Make buffers and other reagents.
- Maintain a laboratory notebook.
Ordering and Purchasing
- Process purchases for the lab using UVA Marketplace.
- Interact with vendors to determine appropriate products.
- Associate’s degree and at least two years of experience in an academic or industrial lab a Bachelor’s degree may be considered in lieu of experience.
- At least 2 years of experience performing animal surgeries on mice and/or rats.
- Experience with a variety of cellular, molecular, and biochemical techniques.
- Ability to synthesize information, provide advice, and address needs independently.
- Knowledge of general lab procedures, basic safety precautions, and lab equipment.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
- Master's degree in biology, chemistry, molecular biology, biochemistry, or a related discipline.
- Four or more years of laboratory experience (which may include student experience) in an academic or industrial laboratory setting.
- Experience with UVA Marketplace and procurement.
- Experience working with live animals in an academic biomedical research environment.
- Experience with mouse husbandry and colony management.
- Experience with histochemical approaches and stereotaxic surgery.
- Experience with Filemaker, GraphPad PRISM, Adobe Acrobat, and Photoshop.
The selected applicant will be required to complete a background check and health screen prior to their first day of employment per University policy.
Anticipated hiring range: $15.00 - $21.00/ hour. Salary will be commensurate with education and experience
This is a restricted position and continuation is dependent on the availability of funding and satisfactory performance
PROCESS FOR INTERNAL UVA APPLICANTS: Please apply through your Workday Home page, search “Find Jobs”, and search for “R0024854"
PROCESS FOR EXTERNAL APPLICANTS: Please visit UVA job board https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs, and search for “R0024854”
Complete an application online and attach:
·Cover Letter detailing your interest in this position
***Please note that you MUST upload ALL documents into the CV/Resume box.
Applications that do not contain all of the required documents will not receive full consideration.***
For questions about the application process please contact Rhiannon O'Coin, Senior Academic Recruiter, firstname.lastname@example.org
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.