Research Data Support Specialist I (Multiple Positions)
Steward ObservatoryDepartment Website Link:
Tucson, AZ USAPosition Highlights:
The department of Steward Observatory seeks to fill two part time, non-benefits eligible positions of Research Data Support Specialist I. The selected candidate(s) will collect, sort, classify, and rate educational data that will be used to develop instructional materials and tools for science education and outreach using neural networks and artificial intelligence to identify science misinformation online. The audiences for these materials will be instructors teaching introductory science classes, students taking introductory science classes, lifelong learners taking a massive open online course (MOOC) through Udemy or Coursera, and students at other universities as well as members of the public using the Teach Astronomy web site.Duties & Responsibilities:
- Review, classify, and rate online articles based on scientific accuracy.
- Gather on-line science articles and organize articles on scientific topics and scientific misinformation.
- Assist the Education Program Manager in writing and reviewing material for instructional websites that will be used to assess scientific misinformation for instructors and students.
- Run software that searches a common crawl dataset for scientific information and misinformation based on existing trained neural networks.
- Additional duties may be assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent, or equivalent learning attained through experience required.
- Experience with Science/Astronomy Education.
- Bachelor degree in Astronomy or related field.
- 6 months related experience.
Non-ExemptFull Time/Part Time:
Part TimeNumber of Hours Worked per Week:
No BenefitsRate of Pay:
$12.50 - $16.50 DOECompensation Type:
2Career Stream and Level:
Research & Data AnalysisJob Function:
ResearchType of criminal background check required::
Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)Number of Vacancies:
2Target Hire Date:
Expected End Date:
Contact Information for Candidates:
6/8/2021Open Until Filled:
YesDocuments Needed to Apply:
Resume and Cover LetterSpecial Instructions to Applicant:
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution and a Native American/Alaska Native-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.