Assistant Director/Senior Assistant Director, Operations and Strategy (145080)
Assistant Director, Operations and Strategy
Krannert Art Museum
Krannert Art Museum seeks an Assistant Director/Senior Assistant Director, Operations and Strategy, to serve as a core member of the museum’s leadership team. This position will serve as the museum’s principal administrative manager, leading and coordinating the museum’s day-to-day operations and working closely with the Director and other staff members to ensure that the museum’s strategic goals, including diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility, are achieved.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
Krannert Art Museum (KAM) is a public engagement unit within the College of Fine and Applied Arts (FAA) at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign (U of I). 11,000 works from the fourth millennium BCE to the present represent global cultures and cross all media, with particular strengths in the art of Europe, United States, the ancient Andes, and Africa. Our historical collections have always been accompanied by an abiding interest in the art of our own day. Re-accredited in 2010, KAM is free, with all activities open to the public. As a campus public engagement unit, and the only art museum in a region of over 350,000, both urban and rural, in east central Illinois, KAM fulfills the university’s land-grant mission of research, teaching, and outreach. We accomplish this work as a laboratory, presenting new research and approaches to object-based teaching; as a sanctuary for the community’s well-being; and as a civic center, a gathering place to explore pressing issues. The museum primarily serves two audiences: the university’s 61,000 faculty, staff, and students, and the diverse communities of east central Illinois. The region is dominated by the cities of Urbana and Champaign (208,400), surrounded by expansive rural communities.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
Finances, Research, and Business Strategy (55%)
- Manage finances and resources.
- Ensure expenses are monitored, budgets met, and resources used efficiently across all museum departments.
- Oversee monthly financial statements reconciliation, invoicing for receivables, tracking expenditure commitments, and year-end close activities, including fact sheet preparation.
- Prepare and analyze monthly and annual financial reports.
- Manage, research, and execute all contracts, memorandums of understanding and requests for proposals in contract management system. Serve as Unit Head for KAM in that system.
- Manage business strategy, including strategically developing revenue resources, short- and long-term planning, reporting, and compliance with all policies.
- Provide input and guidance for institutional policy directions.
- Manage unit gift funds and endowments, ensuring that their use aligns with donor intent.
- Oversee annual budget development and salary planner process. Provide financial and operational data as required for accreditation and audits.
- With the Director, develop annual budget report as requested by campus.
- Collaborate with FAA business service center and Sponsored Programs Administration (SPA) on preparing grants and sponsored projects. Manage grants once awarded. Maintain schedule of application and reporting deadlines for grants including semi-annual expenditure reporting. Ensure appointments for individuals with contributed effort are appropriately coded in the activity reporting system (ARS). Monitor cost-share requirements.
- Supervise Office Manager and Facilities and Security Guard Supervisor, including hiring, training, and managing performance of direct reports.
- Oversee renovations, major facility projects, and capital projects with guidance from the college director of facilities and the museum director.
- Manage property accounting, including for the art collection.
- Serve as deputy to the Director.
- Manage annual space survey.
- Liaise with Illini Union Retail Services and third-party retail tenants.
- Develop, manage, and execute museum inventory policies and procedures.
- Senior Assistant Director will also serve as deputy to the Director.
- Participate actively in KAM’s diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility initiatives.
- Represent the Museum on administrative committees internally and externally and actively engage in the college and campus community.
- Interface with other professional individuals and organizations providing services to the museum.
Position Requirements and Qualifications:
Required: Bachelor’s degree.
Preferred: Advanced degree in business administration, arts/museum administration, or related fields.
Required: Five years of progressive work experience, with two years as a supervisor. • Proven track record of customer service and results-oriented with strong organizational and time management skills. • Proven track record of customer service and results-oriented with strong organizational and time management skills.
Preferred: Previous experience in a museum/arts organization.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: • Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility. • Capacity to exercise discretion and independent judgment in the performance of duties based with only general supervision or direction. • Excellent interpersonal skills, strong oral and written communications skills, the ability to promote teamwork, creativity, and open communications is essential as is the ability to interact with a broad array of internal and external constituents and the ability to manage multiple complex tasks concurrently.
Senior Assistant Director:
Same as Assistant Director, except minimum requirements also include the following:
• Five years of progressive work experience, with four years in a managerial position with supervisory responsibilities.
• Previous experience in a museum/arts organization.
Salary and Appointment Details
This is a full-time, 12-month, benefits-eligible position with a start date as soon as possible after the close date. Salary will be commensurate with rank and experience.
For full consideration, completed applications must be received by 06/24/2021. Please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three professional references.
For additional information regarding the position, please contact: Greg Anderson, Director of Budget and Resource Planning, College of Fine and Applied Arts, [email protected]
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Convictions are not a bar to employment. The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment. As a qualifying federal contractor, the University of Illinois System uses E-Verify to verify employment eligibility.
College Name or Administrative Unit:College of Fine and Applied Arts Category:2-Administrative Title:Assistant Director/Senior Assistant Director, Operations and Strategy (145080) Open Date:06/08/2021 Close Date:06/24/2021 Organization Name:Krannert Art Museum