RESEARCH TECHNICIAN II
School of Medicine:
Established in 1930, Duke University School of Medicine is the youngest of the nation’s top medical schools. Ranked tenth among its peers, the School takes pride in being an inclusive community of outstanding learners, investigators, clinicians, and staff where traditional barriers are low, interdisciplinary collaboration is embraced, and great ideas accelerate translation of fundamental scientific discoveries to improve humanhealth locally and around the globe.
Comprised of 2,400 faculty physicians and researchers, the Duke University School of Medicine along with the Duke University School of Nursing and Duke University Health System create Duke Health. Duke Health is a world-class health care network. Founded in 1998 to provide efficient, responsive care, the health system offers a full network of health services and encompasses Duke University Hospital, Duke Regional Hospital, Duke Raleigh Hospital, Duke Primary Care, Private Diagnostic Clinic, Duke Home and Hospice, Duke Health and Wellness, and multiple affiliations.
Perform lab protocols and lab upkeep. Work efficiently and cooperatively with a team of researchers in support of lab goals and projects.
Perform a variety of complex technical duties and support activities and maintain up-to-date and accurate records to facilitate Duke University lab research operations.
- Works includes but not limited to preparing culture media, chemicals, reagents and solutions.
- Maintaining sufficient inventory of material, supplies and stocks for performance of duties; clean and maintain laboratory equipment and areas. Conferring with principal investigator or designate to review work assignment and develop plans for research experiments.
- Conduct molecular biology protocols to generate new plasmids and constructs.
- Make minor modifications to existing laboratory procedures and techniques to trouble-shoot protocols as required.
- Keep well organized records for protocols and lab duties.
- Compile, analyze, document and draw tentative conclusions about results.
- Reviews scientific articles and other resources for information applicable to lab duties.
- Help to train other lab personnel.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described above.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed and is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
Work generally requires a bachelor’s degree in biology, chemistry, or other directly related scientific field. May be substituted by relevant experience in lab research.
Lab experience in molecular biology techniques is desirable but not absolutely required.
Knowledge, skills and abilities
Familiarity with principles and practice of molecular biology and biochemistry is desirable.
Work generally requires a bachelor's degree in botany, biology, zoology, psychology or other directly related scientific field.
None required above education/training requirement. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.