Accounting TechnicianAnticipated Hiring Range:
$40,000 - $45,000Work Schedule:
Monday-Friday, 8am-5pmJob Location:
College of Natural ResourcesAbout the Department:
The mission of the College of Natural Resources is to improve the use and stewardship of renewable natural resources. We seek to strengthen natural resources management, enhance environmental quality, increase productivity of forest enterprises, expand recreation and tourism opportunities, and encourage sound regional economic development. To these ends we provide superior professional education, discover new knowledge, and disseminate timely and credible information.
In our college, the administration of research and sponsored activity finances is centralized in the Office of Research Administration under the Associate Dean for Research. The purpose of the College of Natural Resources Research Office is to provide comprehensive assistance to the faculty and staff of the College, and to other colleges as needed, with regard to all Research Administration, for both proposal and award management. Customer Service is a key focus of our office.Essential Job Duties:
The primary purpose of this position is to assist the College of Natural Resources Research Office in managing the sponsored programs portfolios. The individual will work to follow projects through the lifecycle of the award. (I.e. pre-award and post award, proposal development, budget preparation, award extensions, re-budgets, reconciliation, etc.)
The Accounting Technician must:
- Ensure compliance with Cost Accounting Standards (Federal), the State of North Carolina, and NCSU guidelines
- Ensure College policies and procedures are followed
- Understand agency and university requirements, policies and practices for the Principal Investigators (PIs) and provide assistance extensions, reporting and fiscal issues and compliance
- Serve as a back up to the college account managers
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Initiating pre-award process for ledger 5 (grants) accounts and ensure funds are budgeted in accordance with the approved award
- Assisting with the preparation, review and coordination of the proposal submission process with the Assistant Director of Pre Award
- Serving as a liaison between PI and college, university and/or agency during proposal submission process
- Assisting PIs with and/or preparing proposal budget and justification development
- Initiating the PINS process
- Assisting PIs and account managers on preparing/initiating project modifications requests (i.e. subcontract requests, re-budget, change in PI, no cost extension, etc.)
- Reviewing and reconciling expenses on a monthly schedule as defined
- Verifying the accuracy and allowability of expenditures; and if needed, processing the appropriate corrective actions
- Compiling required backup documentation for transactions for all sponsored projects managed by the college research office
- Assisting with the initiation of the closeout process
- Knowledgeable of University regulations, spending guidelines, and budget restrictions
- Understanding of Federal, State and University accounting/financial policies and procedures
- Responding to inquiries from faculty, staff, students, visitors and other individuals on campus, as requested by management
- Exercising considerable judgement to ensure that transactions are in accordance with policies, procedures, and regulations
- Assisting with providing office support and related administrative functions as needed; Administrative tasks include assisting in file management (to include but not limited to filing, archiving, purging, etc.)
- Extensive interactions with students, faculty and support staff both internally and campus wide.
- Assist Contract & Grants Manager as needed on a variety of ad hoc projects and tasks.
- Attend departmental, college, and/or university meetings to obtain the latest information regarding finance or research related matters.
- Performing a variety of other duties as assigned (and as needed)
- Work requires the exercise of considerable judgment to ensure that transactions are in accordance with policies, procedures and regulations.
High School Diploma or equivalency and one year of experience in accounting work; or equivalent combination of training and experience.Other Required Qualifications:
Understanding of audit requirements.
Knowledgeable of sponsored research process and procedures, as well as experienced in pre-award and post award process for sponsored research.
Establish effective working relationships with business and program personnel.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Has excellent leadership, organizational, and problem solving skills.
Excellent customer service.
Able to work independently and be able to multitask.Preferred Qualifications:
Experience with PINS, RADAR, Research.gov and Grants.gov systems.
Financial knowledge with experience working in a large complex organization.
Highly skilled and experienced in PeopleSoft Financials or similar products, Word and Excel, Google Applications
Ability to interpret and apply complete Federal and State fiscal regulations to analyze and correct accounting and financial problems and errors; Initiate changes in the accounting system and procedures
Knowledgeable of the University research administration (Pre and Post-Award), Cost Accounting Standards, Budget Development and Federal, State and University policies and procedures is a plus.
Knowledge of accounting principles and practices including knowledge of budgetary planning, developing and control; understanding of audit requirements and a thorough knowledge of government accounting methods and procedures, financial practices, federal circulars, governmental accounting standards board (GASB), fund accounting, budgeting, and state and university policies and regulations.Required License or Certification:
N/AValid NC Driver's License required:
NoCommercial Driver's License Required?:
NoJob Open Date:
06/08/2021Earliest Close Date---- (Positions will be posted until 5:00 PM ET on this date. Positions remaining posted after this date are still accepting applications but may close at any time.):
Please make sure the work history listed on your application matches the work history provided on your resume.Position Number:
SHRAPosition Classification Band Title:
Accounting TechnicianPosition Classification Band Level:
JourneyPosition Classification Salary Range:
$31,200 - $59,049Salary Grade Equivalency:
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.Full Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
12 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Non Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
OtherTime Limited Position:
NoIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:
150101 - College of Natural ResourcesAA/EOE:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.