Assistant Coach - Ice Hockey
Job no: 508782
Position type: Staff Full Time
Benefit Status: Benefited-Non-Union
Campus: UMass Lowell
Department: Athletic Programs
Salary: Salary commensurate with experience
Applications Open: Jun 08 2021
Applications Close: Open until filled
General Summary of Position:
The Assistant Ice Hockey Coach provides assistance in all phases of coaching the men's ice hockey program including: coordinating student-athlete recruitment, game preparation, player evaluation, academic coordination and practice and game coaching. They also provide administrative support as assigned.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
1. Assist in all aspects of the student athlete development and performance of the men’s ice hockey program by:
•Coordinating student-athlete recruitment process.
- Identifying athletic and academic abilities compatible with UMass Lowell standards
- Evaluating and encouraging student–athletes to apply for admissions
- Providing assistance in the areas of game preparation/analysis and player progress/evaluation
- Identifying, evaluating and recruiting student–athletes
- Conducting and supervising practices and player conditioning
- Mentoring and providing appropriate leadership, direction and supervision relevant to the academic progress and personal development of student-athletes
2. Assists with administrative functions with the men’s intercollegiate ice hockey program:
- Scheduling future ice hockey competitions
- Management and oversight of the ice hockey recruiting budget
- Representing UMass Lowell in matters related to ice hockey programs as assigned
- Liaison to the athletic department's compliance office, and the University's Faculty Athletics Representative
3. Adhering to all university, conference, and NCAA rules/requirements relevant to the overall conduct of intercollegiate ice hockey programs
- Participate in promotional and public relations to advance athletic programs by:
- Assisting with fundraising activities as they pertain to the hockey program.
- Providing assistance with departmental fund-raising.
- Representing the Department of Athletics at designated University, departmental and community functions.
- Serving in public relations capacities as needed.
- Encouraging staff and student-athletes to participate in community outreach activities. 10%
- Promote the University’s commitment to customer service by:
- Build effective partnerships with co-workers throughout the University by freely sharing appropriate information and providing assistance when needed.
- Ensuring optimum service to all internal and external partners in response to all requests for service and information.
- Maintaining an environment that is welcoming to persons of all backgrounds, nationalities, and roles.
OTHER JOB DUTIES:
1. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Nights and weekends are required
Attendance at some campus events is expected
Requires travel, including overnight stays
Minimum Qualifications :
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 2-3 years successful experience in ice hockey coaching and program administration
Special Instructions to Applicants:
A job offer for this position is contingent upon a satisfactory response to a Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) check and review
Initial review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications are received.
Please include a resume and cover letter with your application. Names and contact information of three references will be required during the application process.