Assistant Director of Landscape Management
Job Title: Assistant Director of Landscape Management
Location: Clayton State University
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 228568
Located 15 miles southeast of downtown Atlanta, Clayton State University offers employees a diverse environment which fosters both professional and personal development. The university is committed to cultivating an environment of engaged, experienced-based learning, enriched by active community service. Clayton State offers multiple Bachelor and Master Degree programs which currently enrolls over 6,900 students in challenging campus and on-line courses.
The campus is situated just 20 minutes from downtown Atlanta on 214 beautiful acres, making access to the metropolitan area a breeze. We’ve been named a Top Workplace in Atlanta by the Atlanta-Journal Constitution for six consecutive years. And we also were named one of 79 higher education institutions across the nation in The Chronicle of Higher Education’s list of 2017 Great Colleges to Work For.
This is a leadership management position. This position reports to the Plant Operation Director in the Facilities Management department.Responsibilities
- Includes but not limited to directing, administrating, design implementation, maintenance, installation, and inspection of grounds operations by the zones as specified by Clayton State University.
- Responsible for staffing, scheduling of teams.
- Responsible for personnel functions such as safety and training, corrective action, and performance management.
- Responsible for licensing requirements (chemical spraying for weeds and pest control) of the associated duties related to the job.
- Responsible for designing, installing, maintaining inviting landscapes. Understanding of tree conditions for safety and maintenance by tracking through GPS across the campus.
- This position will uphold the recognition status of Tree Campus USA by meeting the requirements and will search for new recognition opportunities.
- Responsible for leading during emergencies (extreme weather, snow removal, tree damage, etc.), daily safety inspections, staff training, and development.
- Responsible for leading and coordinating moves and setup team for campus events including commencement twice a year.
- Responsible for supervising the team to maintain the NCAA standard for the soccer field.
- Responsible for procurement of chemicals and inventory control. Responsible for maintaining the EPA standards.
- Performs daily campus safety walks
- Other related duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED. Associate or Bachelor’s degree preferred in a related field.
- Valid Georgia Driver’s License required.
- Preferred 10 years or more of related experience demonstrated technical and supervisory experience in horticulture, arboriculture, landscape design, and maintenance.
- 3 years or more of direct supervisory experience.
- Experience and knowledge of irrigation systems, design, and functions. Knowledge of landscape construction techniques, design, and implementation.
- Experience with computers, including database, word and electronic mail programs, and timekeeping systems.
- Skill to manage and supervise personnel including recruitment, work assignment, setting expectations, and evaluating performance.
- Knowledge of chemical weed control, insect control, and disease control.
- Decision-making and reasoning skills and ability to develop original ideas to solve problems, perform operations analysis and quality control analysis.
- Demonstrate experience and knowledge in all aspects of landscape management in an institutional/commercial environment.
- Demonstrate experience and knowledge in all aspects of landscape management best practices.
- Demonstrate accountability for resource management and implementation.
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills to ensure adequate staffing and project schedule to achieve timely progress on multiple projects and meet deadlines and maintain a high level of productivity.
- Demonstrate experience and knowledge of sustainable practices.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, oral and written communication skills.
- Georgia pesticide license preferred.
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Must be able to wear safety and protective equipment as needed.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing.
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of a background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with Clayton State University, as determined by Clayton State University in its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials and, if applicable, a satisfactory credit check. Applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug test.
Offers are made expressly subject to the applicable federal and state laws, to the statutes, rules and regulations of this institution and to the Bylaws and Policies of the Board of Regents (BOR) of the University System of Georgia (USG), which are available for your inspection upon request.
Clayton State University is an equal employment, equal access, and equal educational opportunity and affirmative action institution. It is the policy of the University to recruit, hire, train, promote and educate persons without regard to race, color, national or ethnical origin, age, disability, gender, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or veteran status as required by applicable state and federal laws (including Title VI, Title VII, Title IX, Sections 503, and 504, AREA, ADA, E.O. 11246, and Rev. Proc. 75-50). Clayton State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Institution. For questions or more detailed information regarding this policy please contact the Clayton State University Office of Human Resources at (678) 466-4230. Individuals requiring disability related accommodations for participation in any event or to obtain print materials in an alternative format, please contact the Disability Resource Center at: (678) 466-5445.