Success Initiative Academic Advisor
Job Title: Success Initiative Academic Advisor
Location: Clayton State University
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 228699
Located 15 miles southeast of downtown Atlanta, Clayton State University offers employees a diverse environment which fosters both professional and personal development. The university is committed to cultivating an environment of engaged, experienced-based learning, enriched by active community service. Clayton State offers multiple Bachelor and Master Degree programs which currently enrolls over 6,900 students in challenging campus and on-line courses.
The campus is situated just 20 minutes from downtown Atlanta on 214 beautiful acres, making access to the metropolitan area a breeze. We’ve been named a Top Workplace in Atlanta by the Atlanta-Journal Constitution for six consecutive years. And we also were named one of 79 higher education institutions across the nation in The Chronicle of Higher Education’s list of 2017 Great Colleges to Work For.
This position is currently federally grant-funded and will be responsible for executing an academic advisement strategy that supports the retention, progression, and graduation of students within the Freshman Office in Clayton State University's Center for Advising and Retention.Responsibilities
- Monitors, advises, and tracks the retention, progression, and graduation of all students within an assigned population.
- Execute and evaluate advising campaigns in collaboration with the Associate Director.
- Provides fundamental level support while advising on academic, career, and life goals.
- Make resolution recommendations on academic advising matters to Associate Director.
- Advise students regarding academic programs, curricula, and course selections.
- Maintains students' files throughout their academic careers and makes changes to records as necessary.
- Disseminates information on university policies and procedures to faculty, parents, students, etc.
- Provides assistance and advisement to students in the areas of program admission requirements, registration, probation, academic suspension, and other academic policies and procedures.
- Conducts orientation sessions for groups of incoming students.
- Follows up in advising students who have obtained failing midterm or final grades.
- Refers students with academic discrepancies to proper officials for further action.
- Assists in the preparation of special reports relating to enrollment and related matters.
- One to three years of related experience or an equivalent of education and experience.
- Minimum of a Bachelor's degree with a Master's degree preferred in a related field.
- Knowledge of student information systems (for example BANNER) is preferred; knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and degree audit tools (DegreeWorks is preferred).
- Knowledge of academic fields for advising disciplines.
- Knowledge of predictive analytics to inform advising and retention practices.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; effective organizational skills and time management skills.
- Must be flexible and be able to prioritize and function independently with minimal supervision. Must be able to work cooperatively and diplomatically with supervisors, peers, students, and outside agencies. Ability to function with a diverse student population with varied academic backgrounds, special needs, and multicultural issues.
- Ability to work flexible schedules (some evenings and weekends are required).
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of a background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with Clayton State University, as determined by Clayton State University in its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials and, if applicable, a satisfactory credit check. Applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug test.
Offers are made expressly subject to the applicable federal and state laws, to the statutes, rules and regulations of this institution and to the Bylaws and Policies of the Board of Regents (BOR) of the University System of Georgia (USG), which are available for your inspection upon request.
Clayton State University is an equal employment, equal access, and equal educational opportunity and affirmative action institution. It is the policy of the University to recruit, hire, train, promote and educate persons without regard to race, color, national or ethnical origin, age, disability, gender, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or veteran status as required by applicable state and federal laws (including Title VI, Title VII, Title IX, Sections 503, and 504, AREA, ADA, E.O. 11246, and Rev. Proc. 75-50). Clayton State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Institution. For questions or more detailed information regarding this policy please contact the Clayton State University Office of Human Resources at (678) 466-4230. Individuals requiring disability related accommodations for participation in any event or to obtain print materials in an alternative format, please contact the Disability Resource Center at: (678) 466-5445.