Job Title: Communications Manager
Location: Clayton State University
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 228601
Located 15 miles southeast of downtown Atlanta, Clayton State University offers employees a diverse environment which fosters both professional and personal development. The university is committed to cultivating an environment of engaged, experienced-based learning, enriched by active community service. Clayton State offers multiple Bachelor and Master Degree programs which currently enrolls over 6,900 students in challenging campus and on-line courses.
The campus is situated just 20 minutes from downtown Atlanta on 214 beautiful acres, making access to the metropolitan area a breeze. We’ve been named a Top Workplace in Atlanta by the Atlanta-Journal Constitution for six consecutive years. And we also were named one of 79 higher education institutions across the nation in The Chronicle of Higher Education’s list of 2017 Great Colleges to Work For.
The communications manager supports the Office of Marketing and Communications in the development of institutional communications content across print, digital, and video channels. Reporting to the assistant vice president of Marketing and Communications, the communications manager serves as the university media relations contact, works with campus constituents to identify newsworthy happenings and develop stories that highlight the university's mission and success stories, and oversees the development of print publications (magazine and/or divisional reports).Responsibilities
- Develop annual public relations plans and strategies.
- Identify, write, edit, and pitch university news to local and national media.
- Establish and maintain targeted media lists and nurture relationships with representatives of the media.
- Manage media requests promptly.
- Ensure all communication is consistent with the university brand.
- Partner with divisions across campus to fulfill external media relations and marketing needs for the university.
- Monitor media mentions about the university and provide monthly reports and analytics on media activities.
- Establish and implement a media training program to prepare faculty, staff, students, and division leaders for media interviews.
- Create a university editorial style guide that incorporates Associated Press style guidelines.
- Develop content for the university website and maintain university communication channels including the Newsroom and the university homepage.
- Assist social media coordinator with content development and user engagement via social media channels including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Assist staff videographer/multimedia designer on university video projects at various points of the production process including story development, scriptwriting, storyboarding, film scheduling, conducting interviews as necessary, and reviewing the film for publication.
- Assist in developing broadcasts for the university podcast, Laker Lounge.
- Produce broadcasts for the university’s day of giving, #Give4Dreams, including partnering with staff videographers and production teams to produce pre-recorded interview segments, promos, and commercial bumpers.
- Serve as managing editor of Laker Connection, the university magazine. Lead story development; manage a team of freelance writers; write and edit content; and lead editorial production process including writing, photography, and videography.
- Manage internal communications and updates to faculty, students, and staff via weekly e-newsletters.
- Serve on the crisis communications team. Initiate contact with media regarding inclement weather alerts; send emergency messaging and provide updates to the campus community during inclement weather events and/or other crisis events.
- Manage student assistants, as well as assist students in earning internship credit.
Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, public relations, marketing, or a related field.
Other Required Qualifications
- Proven ability to develop, implement and execute successful public relations campaigns.
- Thorough knowledge of the concepts and principles of news, media communications, and media relations.
- Thorough skills in understanding and effectively utilizing all news/media mediums including broadcast news, the internet, social media, and other emerging technologies.
- Skill to maintain confidentiality.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate.
- The ability to produce high-quality work with quick turnaround time, as well as the ability to manage multiple high-priority projects simultaneously.
- Proficiency in copyediting, particularly using Associated Press Style.
- Strong knowledge of basic office applications (i.e. Microsoft Office).
At least three years in media relations or communications.Conditions of Employment
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of a background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with Clayton State University, as determined by Clayton State University in its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials and, if applicable, a satisfactory credit check. Applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug test.
Offers are made expressly subject to the applicable federal and state laws, to the statutes, rules and regulations of this institution and to the Bylaws and Policies of the Board of Regents (BOR) of the University System of Georgia (USG), which are available for your inspection upon request.
Clayton State University is an equal employment, equal access, and equal educational opportunity and affirmative action institution. It is the policy of the University to recruit, hire, train, promote and educate persons without regard to race, color, national or ethnical origin, age, disability, gender, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or veteran status as required by applicable state and federal laws (including Title VI, Title VII, Title IX, Sections 503, and 504, AREA, ADA, E.O. 11246, and Rev. Proc. 75-50). Clayton State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Institution. For questions or more detailed information regarding this policy please contact the Clayton State University Office of Human Resources at (678) 466-4230. Individuals requiring disability related accommodations for participation in any event or to obtain print materials in an alternative format, please contact the Disability Resource Center at: (678) 466-5445.Other Information
This is not a supervisory position.
This position does not have any financial responsibilities.
No, this position will not be required to drive.
This role is not considered a position of trust.
This position does not require a purchasing card (P-Card).
This position will not travel
This position does not require a security clearance.